Fried potato recipes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leah

I'm looking for a really good recipe for diced fried potatoes (here we call them Northern hash browns, because our hash hours are usually shredded.. gross!). I had them at a hotel breakfast the other day and I've been craving them ever since!! The ones at the hotel were diced into like 1" cubes and had an interesting sort of spicy seasoning.. Anyone got any?

I fry mine with a packet of Lipton's onion soup mix!! You can make them in the oven with 1/4 cup of oil (I use less) and the soup mix and they turn out great toO!!

We usually use about 2 Tbsp. butter, 2 packets of Sazon and a little bit of seasoned salt and cook them until they just turn brown and crispy. If you ever want to just cheat, check the refrigerated meats section of your grocery store for Bob Evans brand side dishes; they do a cube cut homefried potato side that's pretty darn good for prepackaged.

The potatoes I make for breakfast are diced/chunked new or red potatoes, a small onion ..yellow or purple.. chopped, a small bell pepper chopped.. red or green, one fresh clove of garlic minced/chopped ..however you prefer, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, paprika, a pinch of red pepper flakes and some olive oil.

Get your oil hot, toss in your potatoes and let them get golden on the edges and sides. Once they are golden, toss in the onion, pepper, garlic and seasonings. Toss everything until the onion and pepper is tender ...reduce the heat ..and cover for a few minutes, to let the potatoes get tender all the way through.

My hubby prefers the shredded hash browns that I make, but he gobbles these up, too! :)

Funny you'd call them Northern Hash Brows, since when I first came down south my reaction at IHOP was "these are not hash brows, these are shredded potatoes!?" I still prefer home fries.

Anyway, I use red potatoes, about 3 baseball sized ones. I chop them up, microwave for 5 minutes to soften, toss in olive oil and salt, broil for 3-5 minutes, flip over, broil for another 2-3 minutes - then if I'm up to it will saute some onions in 1/2 tbs of butter and put them together. Pretty basic. If I don't add onion I typically dip a forkfull in ketchup.

The Lipton's soup mix sounds really good! Will have to try that.

I have about 4 or 5 different seasoning recipes for these types of potatoes.

The ones I'm used to from New York are just cubed potatoes (I use Yukon golds) fried with onions in oil. To season, sprinkle in some salt and pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and parsley. Saute for about 1 more minute then serve.

Mexican seasoning: cumin, onion powder, cilantro, chili pepper... salt and black pepper too. I use a sea salt from Mexico to make it more authentic.. or a lime salt. These are totally delicious!

Curry seasoning: turmeric, chili, cumin, coriander, cardamom, lil cinnamon and clove and salt and pepper. These potatoes are great with cauliflower.

Now that I'm thinking about it... they probably made regular potatoes tossed with Lawry's seasoned salt and pepper. Anyway, here are a few of my combinations too.

Thanks, guys! Just a side question, how long will uncooked potatoes keep in a fridge?

What do you mean by "uncooked?"

Uncooked, unpeeled, uncut potatoes should not be stored in the fridge... they should be stored at room temperature away from sunlight. They can keep for about a week like this.

However, if you are preparing your potatoes ahead of time and want to cut/peel them before use, you can do so about 2 hours before you will cook them and just soak them in water. Anything more than that will cause the nutrients to bleed out.

Hope that helps!

Rosti: Most Amazing Potatoes EVER

http://lizscookingblog.blogspot.com/

Ingredients:

6 large baking potatoes
1 tablespoon salt
3 1/2 ounces smoked bacon, thinly sliced vertically
3 1/2 ounces onion, diced
1 sprig thyme
3 1/2 ounces mushrooms, diced
2 tablespoons oil
2 ounces butter
6 slices Gruyere

Instructions:

Boil the potatoes in their skins for 20 minutes, drain and leave to cool. Peel them. Using a cheese grater, grate them into a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with salt.

In a frying pan saute the bacon and onions. Strip the leaves off the sprigs of thyme into the pan. Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Combine with the potatoes and mix gently, taking care not to mash them too much.

Heat oil in a frying pan and add 3 or 4 spoonfuls of the mixture. Using a spatula, pat the mixture into a round flat cake. Brown it over a high heat. When the bottom side is cooked flip it over. Repeat with remaining potatoes to make 6 cakes.

Put 1/2 tablespoon of butter and a slice of Gruyere on each cake and melt under a hot grill or broiler. Turn the Rosti onto a plate and serve with a green salad, if desired.

Ah, I didn't know what they shouldn't be stored in the fridge. Googled it, and it makes sense. Good to know!

What do you mean by "uncooked?"

Uncooked, unpeeled, uncut potatoes should not be stored in the fridge... they should be stored at room temperature away from sunlight. They can keep for about a week like this.

However, if you are preparing your potatoes ahead of time and want to cut/peel them before use, you can do so about 2 hours before you will cook them and just soak them in water. Anything more than that will cause the nutrients to bleed out.

Hope that helps!

You can keep turnips, beets and parsnips (If you eat them, at least :yuck: ) in a bag/container of play sand in the refrigerator for 6 months +, but spuds do best in a brown paper bag on the counter/floor out of the sun. I can usually get about 2 weeks out of them before they sprout.

Back