Fresh Apple Sticks vs Baked ones

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocolatPocky

A few weeks ago I bought some apple wood chew sticks off of etsy for Mr. B. When I got them in the mail I noticed he looooved these apple sticks. Normally he is quite picky and won't chew about 1/3 of the ones I have. But today I noticed when making another applewood purchase, that these sticks are "fresh"? This is where I bought them. The seller says the trees are pesticide free.

So I am guessing that means it wasn't baked? Maybe that's why Mr. B likes them so much more! The sticks are still dry and snappy, they are not green/bendy. I know the baking/boiling part is supposed to kill off all the germs, but it looks like other ppl have been purchasing the applewood and it has been safe? Mr. B is happy and healthy too!

If they are dry and snap when you try to bend them they are likely baked. It does say they were cut from fresh, live trees, but I'm guessing that is apposed to some people that make there sticks from cut branches that where trimmed and then stored to processed at a later date. The sooner they are processed after being cut the better, which is why I think most chins don't like store bought prepackaged sticks, they are old.

Back