Free timothy hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

channeltool

I have 30 lbs of timothy hay from Farmer Dave's, it contains clover. Pick up only in Fairfield NJ. I got it about a month ago, not what I ordered.

Me too! My boys will only eat Farmer Daves Hay! 3rd cut. Sometimes 2nd cut with clover will do if he is out of 3rd cut

Me too! My boys will only eat Farmer Daves Hay! 3rd cut. Sometimes 2nd cut with clover will do if he is out of 3rd cut

Could you explain this cut business? I've seen people mention their chins prefer certain cuts. How do they know? How is it different? I'm perplexed. And now there's hay with clover? I thought it was supposed to just be timothy- lol.

Could you explain this cut business? I've seen people mention their chins prefer certain cuts. How do they know? How is it different? I'm perplexed. And now there's hay with clover? I thought it was supposed to just be timothy- lol.
First cutting is high in stem, low in leaf, high in fiber, and low in protein and fat. This makes it the perfect hay for chinchillas that need to lose a little weight or who have GI issues. Second cutting is the perfect balance for chins. Hay that is both flexible in stem and leaf is great for their digestive systems and 2nd cutting Timothy hay has the perfect amount of fiber, protein, and fat. It’s really the standard. Third cutting is very soft, very green, and high in leaf. This means it has lower levels of fiber but is high in protein and fat. It’s great for chins that need to gain a little weight. I'm not sure about hay with clovers though.

First cutting is high in stem, low in leaf, high in fiber, and low in protein and fat. This makes it the perfect hay for chinchillas that need to lose a little weight or who have GI issues. Second cutting is the perfect balance for chins. Hay that is both flexible in stem and leaf is great for their digestive systems and 2nd cutting Timothy hay has the perfect amount of fiber, protein, and fat. It’s really the standard. Third cutting is very soft, very green, and high in leaf. This means it has lower levels of fiber but is high in protein and fat. It’s great for chins that need to gain a little weight. I'm not sure about hay with clovers though.
whoa! cut as in here's a piece of hay =and top, middle, bottom.. or literally zoom cut, zoom cut, zoom cut. I grew up on a farm but we had livestock :oops:

3rd cut Timothy Hay. Harvested later in the season. 1St cut, well, is first:) when it's cut again you have second cut. Finally, 3rd cut! (i think) As noted prior to my post, 2nd cut is an excellent choice as well. My preference is 3rd. so much easier on to clean floors and vacuum as well! What I like most with 3rd cut from Farmer Dave, there are lots of dried leaves from the hay which is needed. In my case, 4 boys, 1 with Malo. I hand feed Meatball 50 or so pieces each day. chews are plenty, he's on his own w/chews. btw, Farmer Dave, he has 2nd cut w/& w/o clover.

Back