Freaking out about going on vacation...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchilla63

I don't want to leave my chins!
We're going on vacation in August and even though I'm looking forward to time away with my family, I'm miserable about the girls. We'll be gone for a week.
It looks like I'll be able to have some friends come in and clean the cages and feed them. They'll get their dust baths, treats, etc. No time out of the cage, I don't think they'll let anyone else handle them.I know they'll be okay, but I'm dreading it.
I know it's as good as it can be for them, but I secretly am hoping for a hurricane - or maybe just a tropical storm? - so we don't have to go.
Is there a 12 step program for people who are too attached to their chinnies?

I think you would feel better about going if you were sure that the people watching over your chinnies were totall knowledgeable about chins. Hopefully they'll be coming over daily and can monitor the house temp and overall well-being of your chins. I agree that they shouldn't get any time out of their cages, just to be safe, and your chins will be just fine for a week without this time. Maybe if you keep in contact with your friends while you are gone, you will be more relaxed about your chinnie's well being. It is hard to leave them because they are your babies! But if you feel confident in your friends being able to care for your chins while you are gone then go and have fun with your family and know that your chins are in good hands.

My friends are animal lovers but don't have any chinchillas. There's no one local who is knowledgeable, unfortunately. I'll leave detailed instructions and keep in touch (okay, I'll probably annoy the daylights out of my friends, lol). We have a generator so there shouldn't be any problems with temperature. I'm sure I'll feel better once we're on our way.
I'm just surprised by how much I don't want to leave them. Maybe it's because there aren't so many knowledgeable chinnie people out there...also, it's my first time leaving them for any extended trip.

When I had to leave my little one for a week I had a good friend take care of her. Bella already knew my friend, and she came over for a couple of playtimes so that Bella could get more comfortable with her and so she could take her own notes on how to care for Bella. As I was doing stuff (filling food, water, cleaning the cage etc.) I made sure to clearly explain exactly what I was doing so that she could take accurate notes. I also left her the number for my vet and my CnH login ID and password, just in case she couldn't get ahold of me if she had a question. I was still in the country so I was able to stay in contact. Toward the end of my trip I could go a whole day and not even be worried at all because by then I knew she was doing a good job!

I have my brother(s) watch my chinchillas and just call me when they are at my house. That way I can make sure everything is okay and talk them through anything they need to do. It works out just fine. That's about all you can do, aside from leaving them some instructions. Either that, or just stay home and not go on vacation.

Back