found a chinchilla in a river, ears scabby and peeling need advice please

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

when i was walking my dogs I found a chinchilla lost/dumped in a river. His ears are covered in what look like tiny brown scabs and look like they are peeling a bit. When one comes off and the skin underneath appears pink and healthy. Any idea what might have caused this and how to treat it?

He has been treated for mites/fleas and a fungal infection but nothing seems to be working. Another forum told me these spots/scabs are normal in older chinchillas - should i just ignore them?

thanks

How were you able to catch him? I don't know how anyone could dump a defenseless chin like that..

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I have uploaded a photo, from a distance they look like brown dots discolouring the skin but up close you can see they are all tiny little scally scabs.

I snuck up behind him and threw a coat over him (it was big and soft) then i scooped him up and carried him home. He is incredibly friendly considering what happened to him. He obviously hadn't been treated well as his fur was in lumps and his feet were also sore. (These two things are now sorted)

thanks
Ashlea

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 134
Thank goodness you found the poor wee thing! Good on you for taking him in!

You could try some bag balm for his ears, or some vitamin E capsules. Just pop the capsule and rub some of the liquid on the ears. It might be just chronic dry skin covered with dirt? Or maybe you could get a second opinion from another vet?

Give the poor guy a scritch from me.

So glad you were able to help that poor chin. If the chin is a beige, pink-white or tan then the spots could be freckles and nothing to worry about

I'm really glad I did take him in, he is really lovely.

I tried to attach a picture earlier but it hasnt gone on yet, incase it hasnt worked ill attach it again with this message.

ps It will be two weeks since I found him now, the first week we tried to find his owner but when no-one turned up I took him home with me.

Also is there anything I shouldnt feed him in terms of fresh fruit/veg? i have guinea pigs and they eat pretty much everything, carrots, apples, pepper, cucumber, banana etc but I dont want to give something to Barry (thats what i have called him) if it will make him ill. he also has proper chinchilla pellets and fresh hay every day.

Try cleaning his ears with a gentle scrub, like a mild baby shampoo (just his ears), and rinse them well. After you rinse them, do as Newt suggested and put on either bag balm or liquid vitamin E and rub it in. That might loosen up all the dirt and scabs and then hopefully the bag balm will take care of any dryness left behind.

Chins should not have fruits and veggies. A chinchilla specific pellet, fresh hay, chin safe wood chews, fresh water, the occasional dried rosehip - that's all he will need.

Hi thanks tunes i will definitely give that a try. Ooo I didn't realise that about fruit and veg, how come they shouldn't have it?

He has proper wood chews as well, I forgot to mention that.

thanks for all your help

Could it be that the little guys ears are just sunburned, from exposure to the elements while outside?

You could try some Galen's Garden Green Cream ( http://galensgarden.co.uk/shop/lotions/green-cream ) gently rubbed into his ears - it is what I use on my chinchillas & it will help with any small nicks or scratches as well all removing the crusty flakes of scabs etc.

The Galen's site also has brilliant herbs & mixes which are great as treats for chinchillas & cavies - take a look through & you will find plenty of variety in the shop if you want to give Bary some healthy, tasty treats. :)

Thanks guys, you are all so nice and helpful on here :) On the last forum I tried I just got lectured about stuff rather than any useful advice, but you have all been really helpful

ps Claire D - thanks i will def give that cream a try

I would suggest flaxseed over vit E. Vit e is sticky and doesn't spread or rub in as well. You can get bottles of flaxseed or capsules. I actually switched to using jajoba oil on the hedgehogs and myself. It's said to be as close to natural skin oils as possible.

Hi thanks tunes i will definitely give that a try. Ooo I didn't realise that about fruit and veg, how come they shouldn't have it?

He has proper wood chews as well, I forgot to mention that.

thanks for all your help

A chinchillas digestive system has not developed to be able to properly digest fruits and veggies, so that's why they aren't supposed to have them. If they do get into them it can cause them to have issues of gas, bloat, stasis, etc. that can be fatal :( Keeping is sweet n' simple is definitely the way to go and it sounds like you're doing a great job. It's great that you have safe woods for him to munch on, my guys go nuts for apple and prepared blackberry wood!

Back