for the chinchilla who doesn't eat their pellets

• Thread starter DaphnesandFreddysmom
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaphnesandFreddysmom

Daphne barely eats pellets she eats hay willingly and shredded wheat but won't eat her pellets. She'll eat the supplement in her one bowl but leave her pellets in the other. Sometimes I think she'd rather starve.

She was on tradition and now we're switching her to PANR I thought maybe she just didn't like the one brand but she barely eats the PANR either.

What can I do?

Yah i've heard that they don't need supplements as long as you are giving them good food and hay.

And with the treats, I agree, stop them altogether. Maybe if you stop, she'll start eating her pellets.

Jean

Well what about hay? She will eat her loose and cubed hay before her pellets. If I try to force her to eat pellets and not feed her hay every day she won't eat her pellets and just be pathetic. I don't think she has ever finished a whole serving of pellets.

She gets 2 tablespoons and I have never come in to find her bowl empty.

She always needs hay, it is not uncommon for some chins to eat more hay than pellets. 2 tablespoons is an average, not a hard rule.

As suggested, you should only give her hay and pellets. See what her pellet intake is like after stopping the supplement and treats.

As long as she's not losing weight, I wouldn't worry too much about whether she has a preference for the hay over the pellets. Some night my chinnie will eat lots of hay and not as much pellets, and sometimes it's the other way around. Weighing them is the best way to make sure everything is ok with your chin.

She always needs hay, it is not uncommon for some chins to eat more hay than pellets. 2 tablespoons is an average, not a hard rule.

Ok I know the breeder told me to only offer hay twice a week or she'd never eat her pellets. Is it bad though that even after 4-5 days there's still pellets? I know she's healthy she's been to the vets and she is experienced in chinchillas.

Our babies eat all their pellets and usually save their hay for last (save the best for last type thing I guess).

Stop with the supplement like stated. She knows she's going to get it, and would prefer it since I'm sure it's like a treat and tastes better than just pellets. Would you rather eat a salad or cake?

As for pellets, you should probably start replacing the pellets daily. Whatever isn't eaten after one day, dump out and put new pellets in. If they've been sitting out in the dish for 5 days, I'm sure they aren't as fresh as ones coming out of the air tight container.

Your chins should always have hay. Not just twice a week. My chins always have hay and they always eat their pellets too. I'm not sure what your breeder is thinking, but by offering them hay is not going to stop them from eating pellets. Hay wears down their molars and is necessary for keeping their teeth in shape.

Would you rather eat a salad or cake?
Salad. Hehe.

I assume that you have not been replacing the pellets either. I would strongly suggest replacing them every day. I know one of my boys is overly picky and if there is anything left in his food bowl the next night and I don't throw it out, he won't eat any pellets till I do. And as stated, always have a supply of fresh hay.

Ok I will give fresh pellets and hay daily. I was just going by the people we got her from and what they said I figured they bred chins so should know what's best (ofcourse that was very obvious when they threw in a box of raisins togive her for treats. We've had her awhile and have cut out a lot of the bad stuff they suggest so we have done a ton more research since we got her.

Is it possible that she has teeth problems? I know some chins may go off either hay or pellets depending which teeth are bothering them. Just a thought...

I also agree with giving unlimited hay and replacing the pellets daily. Before we started doing that (which wasn't long after we brought our first one home), there was a noticeable decrease in pellet intake even on day 2.

Ok I know the breeder told me to only offer hay twice a week or she'd never eat her pellets.

That is definitely a very poor advice coming from a breeder.
It all depends on the chin as the others said, I agree with them. Of my chins, some will eat their whole bowl, and some not that much. Hay is the most important part of their diet, not pellets.

You might try grinding up some pellets, add water and make a thick paste - if she eats that, I'd get a x-ray of her head and look for teeth problems!

Ok I know the breeder told me to only offer hay twice a week or she'd never eat her pellets. Is it bad though that even after 4-5 days there's still pellets? I know she's healthy she's been to the vets and she is experienced in chinchillas.

Our babies eat all their pellets and usually save their hay for last (save the best for last type thing I guess).

I've been informed that chins need Timothy Hay everyday, it is vital to them. Hay and pellets. I think (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) the hay is more important than the pellets, not saying if they don't eat any pellets at all, just saying that hay is important and they can have all the hay they want. All day long I keep my bowls filled with hay, and only feed them their Mazuri food at night. Only about 2 tablespoons is what is recommended per chin I also don't treat alot.

Again not trying to offend you DaphnesandFreddysmom, just saying what I have learned on CNQ.

Jean

2 tablespoons is NOT what is recommended per chin. 2 tablespoons is what chins are guesstimated to eat. A chin should have as much food as they can/want to eat. Chins should be free fed both their hay and feed.

I'm not offended at all i'd rather someone yell "listen up you idiot!" Than not say anything. We do leave pellets out always their bowls never empty. I'll continue offering hay and not give her the supplements or treats. She'll also be taken to the vets for another checkup.

I hope this made sense I just had my wisdom teeth removed.

2 tablespoons is NOT what is recommended per chin. 2 tablespoons is what chins are guesstimated to eat. A chin should have as much food as they can/want to eat. Chins should be free fed both their hay and feed.

I was always under the impression (because of what I"ve read) that it was 2 tablespoons, so I must of read wrong. Okay, thanks for telling me that then. I knew the hay was an always okay can have as much as you want, but didn't know it was the same for the pellets. No offence but are you 100% sure on that.

Thanks,
Jean

Well I've always read 2 Tbsp as well, but I always assumed that was so you don't put 3 cups in the bowl and then pitch it all at night when they only eat a bit. We let them eat as much as they want... some eat a lot, some eat less, but I'm sure they all eat at least 2 Tbsp per day... It's not like they're gonna get fat eating too much high-quality food, they'll stop when they're stuffed...

Well I've always read 2 Tbsp as well, but I always assumed that was so you don't put 3 cups in the bowl and then pitch it all at night when they only eat a bit. We let them eat as much as they want... some eat a lot, some eat less, but I'm sure they all eat at least 2 Tbsp per day... It's not like they're gonna get fat eating too much high-quality food, they'll stop when they're stuffed...

I don't measure it out when I feed mine, but I put in what looks about like 2 heaping tablespoons and there is always food left over in the morning. So how much do you feed your chins Ashely?

Jean

2 tblsp is what people say most chins eat in a day, so to not waste food (assuming you're dumping the extras out each night) you put about that much in.

I just know what my chins eat in a day. Mei and Kona will eat their whole coop cup full, so I fill it up, Chibi eats one scoop (I believe it's a 1/4 c scoop) and MuShu eats the least pellets at just under one scoop a day.

So, if you aren't sure what your chins eat, put some out and make sure they have enough for the full day. Then after you get an idea of how much they eat each day you can scoop out the appropriate amount.

It was never recommended to only give your chins 2 tblsp and that's it. It was just a general guideline for how much on average they eat. Chins won't over eat.

Back