Foot Injury

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

While cleaning I saw a small blood spot on one of the wooden ledges in my chin cage. After examining each chin I noticed that one had a small blood spot on the top of his back foot. I didn't want to try and clean it off in case I removed a potential scab. There's no more blood to be seen, and the blood on his foot has since dried. Is this worth a vet visit, or is there stuff I can do at home? I'm assuming he might have scratched it a bit on something, causing the injury. Probably the side of a ledge and just didn't hit the landing properly. He's jumping and acting normally too. I also have a chin emergency kit filled with stuff for injuries.20200217_214920.jpg20200217_214902.jpg

If it is not actively bleeding anymore and he is using it, I would just keep an eye on it and not rush off to the vet. If he is not touching it to the ground, or if he starts chewing it, definitely take him to the vet.

Should I watch out for potential infection? I'm not sure if it's scabbed over or not, I didn't want to mess with it too much. What are some signs of infection, and are there ways to prevent it?

Back