food emergency!!! please help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbradley6

just a little chin-crazy!
i feed my babies Tradition and get it in 50 pound bags from a farm & garden store close to me. I just ordered a new bag (which takes a week to get) so i wont get it for at least a week. I still had maybe 5 pounds of food left, so I thought i'd be good until it came.

WRONG! I found BUGS in their food tonight! I'm freaking out! how long have they been there and i not noticed? i found the bugs in the food container (i keep it in an airtight cereal type container). teeny tiny little bugs. what are they?! they dont fly. i am very concerned. there are tiny holes in some of the pellets, obviously the bugs were munching on the food. can this hurt my chinnies??

i need to find some fresher Tradition and FAST! my chins cant wait the week or more until my order comes in thru the farm store. does anyone live near me who feeds Tradition and willing to share?? (i would pay, of course). or know a fast source near me? I'm in the Chicago suburbs and willing to drive!!!! i cant just go to a petsmart and get something different, obviously. i'm pretty upset and really would appreciate ANY responses or help!

I sent you a pm. I go to Ludwigs feed store in Lemont. They may have some bags on hand, but I'd call first.
Ludwigs Feed Store
13205 131st Street
Lemont, IL 60439-6763
Phone: 630-257-3097

The bugs are actually quite common. Their eggs are present in almost all grain products including those eaten by humans. They are very tiny so you can't see them. When the item gets old enough, the eggs hatch and the bugs start eating the product.

Back