Flying Saucer Issue?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EternallyCynical

I picked up my new Flying Saucer wheel today, and I'm ALMOST finished assembling it..... But then of course, problem. When I get to putting on the dust cap, one of the screws is not straight, and will not screw in straight. Therefore, both screws will not fit into the holes in the wheel t the same time. In fact, the screw that's acting up will not even go all the way through the hole.

NOW. I looked at the screw and how it was going through the hole, and I THINK some of the excess metal from the drilling might be pushing it funny. Going to pick up a file at some point to try and smooth that out and see if it helps....

Has anyone had this issue....? Is there any way to fix it, or am I going to have to get ahold of the company and have a new dust cap mailed in? If there's n easy fix, I'd definitely prefer that to having to mail in a new dust cap allllllllllllll the way from the States..... x.x

A quick fix here but if you can get one screw in, just put a bead of Elmer's glue around edge of dustcap.Put the dustcap on and insert screw that fits.Allow glue to dry and it will make a seal and be secure.It's safe and I actually do this on all of my saucers even brand new as it will help keep dust/fur/etc from getting into the bearings.

I was planning to put glue under the edges anyways since that's suggested, but I don't think it was the screw itself - I tried the other one that went straight through its hole with the same issue, so its a problem with the hole itself. My mom thinks that she might be able to fix it re-drilling it straight through, but if not, will it still stay on if its just got the one screw and the glue seal?

I spoke to Marty. He said the following:

"All that is necessary is to back the screws out until only the very tip of the screws are extending through, place the cap on the wheel, the tips will fit into the screw holes in the wheel, then screw them in. The screws are screwed into the caps so they don't get lost during shipping."

If you have issues, contact him and I am certain he will work with you.

The problem is that the screw is crooked and will not go in straight no matter how I work it, or if I switch it for the other screw that WILL go in straight in the other hole, so they will not both fit into the holes like they're supposed to (when the straight screw lines up, the crooked one is pointing too far to the center of the cap to fit into the other hole), and the one screw will not screw properly all the way through so I can't screw it in even if I could get it lined up. If there's a way I can fix it myself, great. But if not, yeah, I'll have to talk to the company and see what can be done. I've got a few ideas, but if anyone knew for sure what would fix the problem (if there's a way to fix it without having to order in a new dustcap and wait a week or two for it to get here), that would eliminate some uncertainty. Its cool if not, I'd just prefer to fix it at home if at all possible and if someone else had had the same problem it would be good to know how it was fixed. :)

Back