Flooring

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manders2049

I've been cutting cardboard for over a year to put in my chins cage, so they don't hurt their little toes on the wire bottoms. Now I've seen in a couple posts about people using tile in the bottoms. What kind of tiles is everyone using? I want to make sure I would be getting the right kind. Cutting up cardboard for 3 levels per cage, and I have 3 cages is a lot of time. Lol.

I haven't tiled my cage, I just have some ceramic and granite tiles sitting on the fleece liners, but most people use ceramic or porcelain tiles to tile the floors. Granite (or other stone tile) is cooler, but much heavier so most cages would need to be reinforced to handle the weight. Depending on the cage you have the best way I've seen recently is to use a piece of corrugated plastic cut to the size of the floor of the cage, then get tiles cut that fit to put on top, that way if they pee on the tile it just goes onto the plastic under the tile and is easy to wipe up.

One side note, cardboard isn't really advised to use in the cage, if the chin decides to chew it, and swallows enough of it, it can swell in the gut and cause a blockage. Most chins just shred cardboard but some do decide to eat it.

From what I've seen people just lay the tiles down so they can easily be removed to clean and replaced if needed. You just need to make sure they are cut to the right size to fit tight together to avoid pinching toes.

I have the feisty ferret cage. I also have fleece over the cardboard. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

I have the feisty ferret cage. I also have fleece over the cardboard. Sorry I forgot to mention that.
Ok, from what I've heard that cage is not as sturdy or strong so stone tile is not an option, but ceramic or porcelain is cheaper anyway. 🙂

Back