fleece

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

attilasmama

Does anyone know if I could go to my local fabric store and use the fleece from there to make bedding for my chin or should I buy it from an online supplier? Also what is a reputable online supplier with good shipping rates? I just got my first chin this fall as surprise from my spontaneous boyfriend who thought it would be a good idea! even though he knew nothing about them and did NO research. So I am very grateful I found this forum and am now learning all the correct things we should have in the cage and should be feeding him!

Attila's Mama!

Congrats on your first little chin! :)

Usually, I just get my fleece from Joann's since they always have 50% sales. I'm not sure about online suppliers since sometimes the pic doesn't match the fabric.

Most people get their fleece from Walmart or Joann Fabric. Walmart is cheaper but limited designs while Joann Fabric have very nice selection but cost more but they have fleece sale all the time and they also give out coupons you can use.

You can get your fleece from any store :) I go to JoAnn's or Hancock Fabrics. But I have also bought off of ebay if I needed a specific print, but you pay more when you buy it online since many times they charge more than the stores, and the stores are always running some sort of sale.

And if you only want to make a couple things, you can go to the fabric store and go through their remnant section and pay hardly anything for anywhere up to a yard.

If you go check out the classified section, there's tons of suppliers listed there :)

Congrats on your first chin!

I bought my fleece from Joanns while they had a sale. I like the selections they have better than Walmart and the price isn't too terrible with the sale.

I believe there was a discussion before about Wal-Mart phasing out their fabrics section, so that might be something you want to keep in mind in purchasing. They may be having huge sales, or may not have any left in stock.

That's true, many Walmarts are getting rid of their fabric section.
They always had good prices on their solid color fleece, but if you go to the fabric store and buy a remnant, most of the time that's the cheapest and they do have prints sometimes too.

I just went to JoAnns, now that I stopped using fleece liners I have to find a way to used the fleece... Anyone wanna give directions on how to make the tubes?

I get most of my fleece from Joann Fabrics, but I also visit SYFabrics.com and TheFleeceLady.com. If you are looking for certain prints, ebay usually has a good selection of hard to find ones. Keep in mind that some online fabric retailers have a minimum yardage order (and usually it is more economical to buy in bulk anyway with regard to shipping).

Kristy, it's really easy to make the fleece for fleece tubes. Drill 2 holes in the side of a 6 inch tube before you start, and you'll need carriage bolts, washers, and wing nuts. You can use a different type bolt if you want, just make sure the sizes match.

Someone several months ago had posted the exact dimensions but we don't have that info here any more, but you can lay the tube on the fleece, and wrap it around--don't pull tight, and leave extra for your seam allowance. That's your width.

Lengthwise, you're going to want to cut the length a bit over twice as long as the tube.

Sew the width together, so you have one long tube (or cylinder) of material. Place it inside the cardboard tube, and fold the excess back over the outside of the tube. Find the holes you drilled for the bolts, and make a little slit in the fabric with scissors. From the inside of the tube, push the bolts through the fabric. You'll need to slit the fabric (that you folded over the ends) to let the bolts through on the outside of the tube.

Place the tube where you want it in the cage, and attach with first the washer, then the wing nut.

If you want, I can take and post pics. :)

Back