Fleece help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carebear

So I was thinking about making my own fleece liners for my chinchillas cage but I’m not very good at sewing. I was wondering if it is safe for the liners not be sewed but just tucked under the trays on the edges?

I think that could work, just make sure the fleece you're using is anti-pill. If your chin starts to chew/eat the liner, you'll need to come up with something else. Or, if you have the money, and assuming you have either a Ferret Nation or Critter Nation cage, you could order pre-made liners on Etsy. I plan on using the pillowcase CN liners from AdorkablePets. She uses anti-pill fleece and the liners are machine washable. Here's the link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/669733...case-liners-with?ref=shop_home_active_5&frs=1

Some people do just wrap the fleece around the pans and clip it with metal binder or bulldog clips. The problem you might face with that though is it's easier for the chin to pull the liners off then if the fleece is sewn in a pillowcase style with the pan inside and tucked under at the end.

Thank you for the responses, now how can u tell what is exactly antipill fleece without it saying anti pill? Like is it okay to use mainstays fleece blankets-picture attached.

Sorry this is the picture

Attachments

• 1A79744D-AD15-4377-9F65-D984185B6695.png
    1A79744D-AD15-4377-9F65-D984185B6695.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DA809B53-4D9C-4911-B0E8-70A3F1F0C7A8.png
    DA809B53-4D9C-4911-B0E8-70A3F1F0C7A8.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 7
I'm not sure how to tell if fleece is anti-pill without it saying it is, unfortunately. I personally would go the safe route and only use fleece if it says anti-pill.

One trick I've been told is take a credit card (or similar plastic card) and run it down the fabric, it should go down it smooth, if it pills up or fibers come off it's the wrong kind. Those pictures look like the right kind, if they are the micro fleece blankets they are anti pill. You just don't want any of the fuzzy or textured fleece, they will encourage chewing.

I'm not sure how to tell if fleece is anti-pill without it saying it is, unfortunately. I personally would go the safe route and only use fleece if it says anti-pill.
I have hedgehogs and have made liners using corduroy outer shelf, fleece centers for comfort and absorbency. I have acquired fleece liners with several rescue intakes and they work just as well. If making liners, go the extra pennies for either anti- pull or Blizzard fleece as these are denser, better quality.
I don’t know too much about chins, but could liners be made effectively from fabrics like corduroy or cotton twill! Just thinking...

I have hedgehogs and have made liners using corduroy outer shelf, fleece centers for comfort and absorbency. I have acquired fleece liners with several rescue intakes and they work just as well. If making liners, go the extra pennies for either anti- pull or Blizzard fleece as these are denser, better quality.
I don’t know too much about chins, but could liners be made effectively from fabrics like corduroy or cotton twill! Just thinking...

Actually with chins the only safe fabric to use with them is fleece (anti pill or blizzard/arctic/polar fleece to be exact) and only if they don't actually eat it. It doesn't unravel in strings if chewed so no worry about it tangling in the gut if a little is swallowed before you notice and remove it, but since it doesn't unravel chins most chins find it boring after a test nibble. I even make my liners with more fleece inside as the absorbent layer, so if the chin does decided to chew on the liners it's just more fleece inside not something unsafe. I'm guessing hedgehogs don't normally chew on anything and everything they can get their teeth on.

So I was thinking about making my own fleece liners for my chinchillas cage but I’m not very good at sewing. I was wondering if it is safe for the liners not be sewed but just tucked under the trays on the edges?
Hi, I thought I might chime in my experience. I have the Ferret Nation double cage with the plastic pans. My boy loves to chew so I bought the fleece blankets at Wal-Mart that you pictured. I have two full size pans, one with the corner opening so he can go from one level to the next. And 2 half size pans. When I bought the fleece I removed all of the thread that was sewn around the edge. I did not want my boy to get a foot caught in it. I then cut one into 2 pieces, cutting down the short side. I use 1 full size blanket, folded in half, (gives a double layer), and attached with black binder clips for my full sized pan. I use extra binder clips around the opening on the one pan and remove all of the silver "handles" so he doesnt possibly get his foot caught. For the half size pans I fold half of one of the blankets that I cut and use binders clips to attach those. I deep clean the cage every 2 weeks and wash the fleece. I have found that the fleece lasts for awhile, usually about 9 to 12 months. The most time consuming part is the binder clips around the opening on that one pan, lol. Hope this helps!

I have found that the fleece lasts for awhile, usually about 9 to 12 months.

I have fleece liners that I made several years ago (some 6+ years), so I would say the fleece can last much longer then 9-12 months. :) It could be because I have multiple sets too though.

Actually with chins the only safe fabric to use with them is fleece (anti pill or blizzard/arctic/polar fleece to be exact) and only if they don't actually eat it. It doesn't unravel in strings if chewed so no worry about it tangling in the gut if a little is swallowed before you notice and remove it, but since it doesn't unravel chins most chins find it boring after a test nibble. I even make my liners with more fleece inside as the absorbent layer, so if the chin does decided to chew on the liners it's just more fleece inside not something unsafe. I'm guessing hedgehogs don't normally chew on anything and everything they can get their teeth on.
No, fortunately, hedgehogs are not chewers! I’m lucky there.

I have fleece liners that I made several years ago (some 6+ years), so I would say the fleece can last much longer then 9-12 months. :) It could be because I have multiple sets too though.
😁 I like that! May I ask what you use to wash them with, and how? I use a mild detergent and a vinegar rinse but it seems they have an odor after about a year or so...

😁 I like that! May I ask what you use to wash them with, and how? I use a mild detergent and a vinegar rinse but it seems they have an odor after about a year or so...
I just use a cup of white vinegar most of the time. If they are extra smelly, like it's been longer then normal since I washed them I use tide, then do a second wash with vinegar after. I try to avoid detergent since it can leave a film on the fabric with seems to trap in the smell, and also reduces absorbancy. It's also best to wash to fleece once a week, even if the chin doesn't pee on it, a couple times a week if they do pee on it.

Just stumbled upon this thread ... My "bedding" is as mentioned above fleece blankets from Walmart, cut in half. I actually took another piece of fleece and made ribbons, sawn to the edges so I can tie it under the tray rather than just tuck it in. For areas that are not secure enough, I just place the chinchiller or a rock they have in the cage there to prevent them from pulling on it. I use an old towel under the fleece, just flat on the tray before I put the fleece on. For some of the sets I actually stitched the towel to the fleece, but for a long time I managed with two separate layers.
For washing machine, I was using my regular tide, hang fleece to dry and throw fleece+towel to the drier. No softener, though, as it makes the fleece less absorbant.

Back