Fleece Collar Pattern

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tagna

Chin lover
Does anyone have a pattern or pic of a fleece collar for a chinchilla. One to keep them from biting at a wound. I had someone ask me for this and I have never made one.

Hi

Where is the wound exactly? Once I had a chin that injured herself under her arm and she was biting it, so had to put a harness on her so she wouldn't chew her flesh and so it wouldn't be too tight as putting a bandage around her, and it worked out really good.

Well I don't agree with using a harness or using a bandage.

It's a really bad foot injury, one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

I've only ever seen the big plastic cones used, Tanya, never a fleece collar. Maybe you can get the person who asked you to make one to send you a photo of what it is that she wants?

I know someone either on here or on CNQ had one. If I was at home I could try to whip something up but at work, they don't have any fleece! lol

I tried to make one out of fleece and it failed miserably. I just couldn't get it to stay on. Now, I did find one that worked really well. It's a bit large, but flexible, so it works really well. It's the Trimline Soft Collar made for kittens and puppies (the 4 inch).

Picture011-3.jpg

Alli has a better picture than this one of her chinnie in one.

Well I don't agree with using a harness or using a bandage.

It's a really bad foot injury, one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

I just used that harness that time because I didn't have anything else to put her to avoid her chewing, and the vet didn't have anything available to cover that or to put something to avoid the chewing, and I did let it lose like that, nothing on, and she was chewing her flesh like crazy, so had to put something or else she would have never healed, I put that harness as loose as I could, I didn't think about the cone on the head, but it seems like the best for the chins to not chew their injury, it is a a very good idea,

I agree with Michelle, you should sell them they are pretty.
Don,t all vets carry the cones for as small as the chins?

Not from what I have seen. I knew Buddy was going to have surgery on his hand in the near future so I ordered that one online about a week beforehand. I tried almost every single vet in Jacksonville (huge city) and I didn't find a single one who carried anything small enough that would fit a chin.

Hi

Would you happen to have the link to that site? I would like to save it on my computer in the case I ever need to, it would be very useful to know.

Thanks for the links, it is for sure very useful, since that kind of cones and it that size, like you said, they seem hard to find, so I will be keeping it on my computer in the case I ever need to.

For sure your chins looks very cute with it.

Yeah those blue fabric ones work pretty well. The chin can chew them up eventually but MuShu left hers alone for the couple weeks that she had to wear it. Eventually she did chew a small hole in it, but only where her mouth could reach. The front paws can't really do much so they can't tear it apart very easily.

Here's MuShu. I found that flipping it back like this made it easier for her to walk around. But I still advise using a smaller cage with low ledges if you use one since it's a little hard for them to move in it.

IMG_3309.jpg

We have these at my vet hopsital but we also carry all the sizes and the smallest size looks way to large for a chin.
We get owners who are told to drive to us from all over socal to get the soft collars. I love them 100% more then the hard ones... (but there are still some sx's with dogs and cats that you have to have the hard ones for)

- we dont have the bird size though... maybe that would fit?

Here is a site for home made ones, chin would look like a flower in one of those, lol.

http://www.bellaspainrelief.com/soft-ecollar-2464-prd1.htm

my vet made me one out of an old xray film -- it worked really well, you may want to see if your vet will let you have some films that didn't develop right to keep on hand. it's nice b/c we cut out just the right size for his head & kept the rest for anybody else, since my furballs aren't all the same size.

Back