Fleece cage liners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackie925

How often do y’all change your fleece liners?
I just got fleece pillowcases from Etsy (that I’ve seen shut) for Linus and I’m confused on how often I should be completely cleaning his cage/changing out everything with them as bedding?
I spot clean daily

Attachments

• 73C8FDB7-B548-428C-AF12-2BBC79F81EC4.jpeg
    73C8FDB7-B548-428C-AF12-2BBC79F81EC4.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 17
It doesn't look like he is pee trained? So if he is just peeing right on the fleece you need to change it at the very least twice a week, my boy pees most of the time in a litter pan so for me once a week is often enough. Since the cage is on the smaller side you may need to change it every day or at least every other day. Spot cleaning should be done daily, clean up the poops and any hay that has been peed on.

Just a word of caution, I know you didn't ask about it but, that hay rack is a safety hazard. Chins have been known to get legs caught and broken in hay racks like that.

It doesn't look like he is pee trained?
Just a word of caution, I know you didn't ask about it but, that hay rack is a safety hazard. Chins have been known to get legs caught and broken in hay racks like that.
Do you have advice on a potty & how would I even begin to potty train him?
Do you have a link to a better hay rack? He already lost a paw during birth; heaven knows I don’t want anything else to happen to my lil boy!

For potty training, you usually just put a container of shavings (aspen or kiln-dried pine) in whatever spot he seems to pee on most. I use a glass baking dish. It's chew-proof and it's heavy enough that my chin can't move it around. Just make sure it's shallow enough that he can get in and out of it easily, and large enough that he can fit inside comfortably. Ceramic or metal baking pans would also work (though I've heard that metal tends to rust eventually, since pee tends to speed up metal oxidation).

For hay racks, I recently got one of these and I really like it: Pandamonium Hay Rack | Etsy

I have the small one with one opening, which is probably all you need for one chin. It's by no means the only option, and it's certainly not the cheapest, but it's really nice. I find less hay gets scattered about with this design than the one I had before.

If you or someone you know is handy with woodworking, you could make something similar for way cheaper.....but I'm lazy and don't have power tools, so I opted to just buy one. If you do end up making your own, just be sure you use a safe wood. Kiln-dried pine is probably the cheapest and most readily available, though something like aspen or poplar would also be good.

Adding on to what has already been said about pee training, if your chin doesn't pick a spot you can try to encourage him to by cleaning up any pee outside the pan and putting some pee soaked shavings in the pan. Most chins seem to catch on, but not all do. You can also put a large rock, big enough for the chin to sit on, in the pan with the shavings, for some reason chins like to sit on rocks to pee.

Some other hay rack options that you can get at a pet store are these. Though the wood one chins do tend to chew through pretty quickly.
hayracks.png
I have hay holders similar to what Jawramik linked from an online vendor, only minus the lid (they are old and chewed up now, they looked better new ;) ). You can get ones like mine from WebShop--Cage Stuff | nolachinchillarescue.org
Hayfeeders.jpg

Back