Fleas!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Collies and other herders are sensitive to ivermectin due to a gene mutation, allowing the insecticide to cross into the central nervous system...do you know what product/treatment set her off, Ann? It may have been the gene mutation that caused the flare up, but usually only high doses of it cause problems. I'm curious :))

Diatomaceous earth is a good alternative should you need it and as long as you take the precautions when using it. I always thought it was cool- it is actually the remains of diatoms - microscopic underwater plants/creatures and algae. Under the microscope it looks like a kaleidoscope with different shapes. The particles are like little shards of glass that essentially cut the insect and dry out it's waxy protective coating. It should not be inhaled and is also very drying, so you'll want to use a mask and gloves. It is very drying to the animal's skin, and an eye/respiratory irritant, so something else to keep in mind. If the animal isn't sensitive to the flea treatments I would use it and perhaps use the diatomaceous earth for yard treatment. If you do decide to try diatomaecous earth, make sure you get the food grade.

Last edited:
Stacie, she started having seizures when she was 4 or 5, and she is 10 now. I don't remember what we were using at the time they started, but her last and most severe reaction was to K9 Advantix. She was having multiple seizures daily lasting over 5 minutes. She can't even tolerate it if I don't put it on her and just on Samson, our other dog. I tried several things over the years and so far everything triggered seizures. As long as I keep her off of any flea/tick/heartworm treatments, and feed her holistic foods, she is pretty much seizure free. She'll have maybe 2 - 4 a year, and one of those is always within two weeks of her annual vaccinations.

I worked at a Collie Kennel with over 120 collies. Diatomaceous earth is what we fed them (mixed it in daily with their food) to prevent worms. They always had worms anyway though.
We used it a few times as a topical treatment for mites on puppies. It did Ok. No collie there ever had a bad reaction to it that I know of.
And it is true about having to be really careful with it. If you have asthma it could effect you pretty quickly. It also builds up in your lungs.
My employer never offered us gloves or masks when we used it and I had some pretty dry skin while working there because of it.

What is a good product to use for cats? Dogs are pretty easy as your abe to give them a flea bath etc.....and they don't mind getting as wet/sprayed as most cats.
Anyone have a good product they use for cats?

We prescribe Revolution for cats. It is a spot on. It takes care of fleas, ear mites, heartworm and intestinal parasites.

Stay away from anything with permethrin in it. It is in some dog flea preventatives but is extremely toxic to cats.

We prescribe Revolution for cats. It is a spot on. It takes care of fleas, ear mites, heartworm and intestinal parasites.

Stay away from anything with permethrin in it. It is in some dog flea preventatives but is extremely toxic to cats.

Ok thank you!

You may have them in the flooring of your house also. We have wooden floors and a couple of years ago we actually had them in the cracks of wooden floor and carpet upstairs. We put baking soda down sprinkled all over floors, left it for 3 days, vacuumed it up wearing a mask and repeated process a couple of times. We have a son who is very sensitive to chemicals so flea bomb was not an option. We also used the pill on dogs and cat.

Back