Flagyl

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggie:-)

Hi all. My chin maggie has been taking flagyl for ten days tomorow, twice daily ,1 ml. She still has smooshy poop. So she will need more medicibe BUT my question is should she get more flagyl?!! Or a diff medicine? And is she suppose to be off of it for a few days before taking medicine? Please share your experiences with me. I have an exotic animal vet but i honestly dont know if she knows much about this and she is only vet in the area i can find.
Thank you.

Is she on any probiotic? After the antibiotics she needs good bacteria to repopulate her bowl. Its a common issue after taking meds. Idk the different types to use but I'm sure someone can offer you good choices.

Does anyone know about the probiotics?! And how much?!
My vet is going to give me more flagyl. I hope it works this time. Does anyone know anything about oreganol?!

Probiotics for chinchillas. Be sure to click the link. Dawnna explains its uses far better than I ever would, but I can tell you that all four of my chins love it and will eat it right off a spoon for me. :))

Thank you i emailed her.
I have read that a few drops of oreganol actually cures any diariah and giardia,does anyone know anything about this?

They definitely should check again for the giardia just to make sure.

Sometimes the flagyl or other anti-parasitics can cause irritation in the intestinal tract. That could be what is causing the mushy droppings. If they run the fecal float test and don't find anything, I'd give it a few days to see if the diarrhea clears up once the chin is off the medication. At this point I would follow the full course of the flagyl regardless.

You can purchase probiotic at many well stocked grocery stores or health food stores. It can really help in getting everything back into balance. I use a probiotic called PB8, it works pretty well for any sick chinnies that have needed a little extra help.

I emailed dawnna but she didnt email back yet. Does anyone know where else i could get the lifeline or somthing like it?

be careful with the oreganol.....it is very strong both smelling and tasting.

you can buy a probiotic pretty much anywhere.......even grocery store. you can open up the capsule and sprinkle on food. keep bottle in the fridge

the lifeline is actually an herbal blend that includes probiotics. i love that stuff! i grind it in my coffee grinder and add water to make a think mix. i syringe it with meds to my chin. i will also mix it thicker and spoon feed it to some of my boys. and you can sprinkle that on food as well. Dawna is great......she will get back to you.

you can also give your chin a 1/2 of mini shredded wheat 2 times a day or even 3 for a few days. it seems to firm up their poop a little. and while the flagyl helps clear up the giardia, it may have a stool softening effect in some chins. As Dawn said......another fecal float will help determine what is going on.

You can purchase probiotic at many well stocked grocery stores or health food stores. It can really help in getting everything back into balance. I use a probiotic called PB8, it works pretty well for any sick chinnies that have needed a little extra help.

i just read susans response and that is the same one i use. i think white bottle with blue writing. i have also used Udo's Super 8 Hi-Potency Probiotic both havea high culture count.......in the billions. that is what you want to look for.

I bought pro biotic at the store. Do i sprinkle the whole capsule or half or what? I couldnt find the one mentioned but im sure it work the same.

Back