First night home :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avmobr

5z483t.jpg

So this is my chinchilla, Charm. These were taken the day I got her. I've since taken them out and am waiting until this weekend to make her some wooden shelves. She's not been happy but I don't want her little foot to get stuck in one of the bars.

Charm is my first ever chinchilla! I've wanted one since I was a child but I was never able to until now.

She's 13 weeks old now, born on May 11th.

I'm curious what you guys think of her color? The previous owner said her mother was an ebony but they didn't know what the father was since they got the mother, already pregnant, in March.

Charm's got a blue-ish tint to her when in certain lights and almost like a rusty reddish brown color in other lights. Her belly is just a few shades lighter than her body.

Anyways, she was kind of sad the first few days. All she wanted to do was try to escape the cage. Now though, we've been working together and hopefully building a bond. She's very brave and will climb right into my hand and up my arm. She'll perch up on my shoulder and try to find the best place to jump down. We've had some very close calls.

Overall, I'm totally in love. She's gotten to the point that she runs to the front of her cage when I come near and is already half way climbing up it when I open it, just so she can fly into my arms.

Congrats on your new edition. She seems like a standard, but she could be a very light ebony. Once she's more comfortable, try to take a picture of her belly. We should be able to tell better then.

she's adorable! congratulations :) i agree with the post above, she should be a standard or light ebony

Okay I'll try :) She's so fast! It's nearly impossible for pictures of her to not be a fuzzy blur.

Picturres just don't do the justice of the full level of cuteness though! Like when she wipes her nose after a dust bath? swoon!

Picturres just don't do the justice of the full level of cuteness though! Like when she wipes her nose after a dust bath? swoon!

I know exactly what you mean!! I've had chins for almost 7 years and I am still totally in love with them all. :hearts:

Congrats, your baby is a little beauty!

Looks like a standard to me, and totally agree the nose wipe is completely and utterly adorable.

Congratulations on your new baby!!! It sounds like you are doing a great job bonding with her and I'm sure she will feel completely settled soon! She is beautiful!

Avmobr, I agree with you that flat surface wood is better than bars because it prevents chinchillas from getting their feet trapped in the bars. I think bars were created for chin owners because it's easier to clean poop from one level when it falls through the bars than having to clean each and every shelf. However, my opinion is we must think about what's healthier for chins, rather than what's quicker for owners to clean.

One of the first things I did the day I got my chinchilla was remove the wire ramps and shelves. By the way you have an adorable chinchilla. She seems emotionally attached to you already, which is a good sign.

DoGooder

DoGooder

Is there such thing as a "dirty bellied" standard? I spent a few hours trying to capture a picture of her belly but absolutely nothing came out of it that was worth posting. Her belly isn't white, it's light grey. It's lighter than the rest of her but it's definitely not a contrasting white like I've seen in other standards.

Now that she's getting a bit older, her personality seems to be shining through a bit more. She's definitely adventurous and has tons of spunk. She's just great <3

Now that she's getting a bit older, her personality seems to be shining through a bit more. She's definitely adventurous and has tons of spunk. She's just great

Spunky chinchilla's are a joy to watch!

DoGooder

Back