First Bath!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annanatashaa23

Hello! I've only been with my first Chin for about 48 hours and she's taking to her new cage relatively well, I'm excited to try and start bonding with her. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on when I should let her explore in her new safe space and have her take her first dust bath. I'm just worried about her getting nervous when I finally take her out, I just don't want her missing out on a bath when everyone stresses the importance of them!

missing a bath isnt that big of a deal. Its nothing something you want to do all the time, but missing one isnt going to kill them.
About a month ago i had a new chin i rehomed in and when it was sand bath day he was far to scared to think about doing it.
You could try letting him have it in his cage.

my boys get their dust baths in their cage about half the time. the other half they get to go into the human's bathtub (fully dried and everything removed (shampoo bottles, etc)).

just take out their food if you are bathing them in the cage, as dust will fly everywhere and you don't want it on their food. won't hurt them i think, but they may not want to eat dust coated food, or may try to bathe in it because there is dust on it (making a big mess + wasted food in the process).

Back