Finally done (picture heavy)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratchilla

Be very, very afraid
When I first got my 2 chins I had them in the lower level of a DCN and my 2 ratties on top. It's been a couple of months but after a ton of research and a lot of help from this forum, I think I'm done. I wanted to share my journey with you guys and show how you can take a newbie like me and turn me around to being what I hope is an all around better pet owner. Heck, because of what I've learned I decided to spoil my rat’s as well. I also moved everyone into their own room.

All fleece fabric (hammocks, pvc piping, liners) are courtesy of Brittany; toys are from Christine.

The beginnings: (It was like Christmas)

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

The chins finished cage:

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

Enjoying their massive toy:

IMG_3116.jpg

Eventually, I’d like to get the chins 2 or 3 joined FNs. But that will be down the line.

Last edited:
Sick/quarantine cage: (I never had one before, but have seen you guy use them a lot and figured it might come in handy)

IMG_3168.jpg

New Frigidaire AC (6000 BTU)

IMG_3159.jpg

On a side note: I got a call from my vet today, Zara (my beige hooded rat), who stayed overnight died early this morning. We’ve been fighting since Sat. night when I took her to the emergency vet. I don’t know what was wrong with her, we thought she had a URI and she went down pretty fast. I’m having a necropsy done to see if Roo is in danger. I miss you already little one. :(

wow, the cages look great! You have some very lucky animals! Looks like it must have been a lot of work to put it all together, but so worthwhile!

I'm sorry Zara didn't make it. I hope the vet can find some answers for you. May she r.i.p.

I am soooo sorry to hear about your ratty! I know first hand how the little critters mean sooo much and leave a tiny hole in our hearts when they move on!

Wow! I love your cages! That must have been quite a chunk of change but well worth it! I love spoiling my chins. I'm in the process of redoing my chins cage (FNs), I figured after 2 years of the same design it's time for a change. I just bought all new fleece, hammocks, and tube coverings from Classy Chins. Your cages are awe inspiring and I can't wait to move into a bigger place so I can spread them out a little more.

Awesome job!!! Soooo fun! How many rats are in that cage? It is HUGE!!!

So sorry about your loss

Kristin,

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby passing. I hope that it's nothing that will affect Roo. I know this is a chin forum, but please keep us posted.

Your cages look fantastic!! Hope everyone is enjoying their new fleece and toys! If you don't mind may I use some of the photos on my website?

I am very sorry about Zara.

Your cages are amazing!!! You have some very spoiled ratties and chinnies!!! Love, love everything you have done!!

Thanks guys! Yeah, it seems like it took forever and never moved quite fast enough for me. Then I'd think of new things I needed after I would order and it would be like, "doh".

Wow! I love your cages! That must have been quite a chunk of change but well worth it! I love spoiling my chins. I'm in the process of redoing my chins cage (FNs), I figured after 2 years of the same design it's time for a change. I just bought all new fleece, hammocks, and tube coverings from Classy Chins. Your cages are awe inspiring and I can't wait to move into a bigger place so I can spread them out a little more.

Indeed, hehe. But I don't have children, so my pets get all the spoiling. Enjoy your new fleece items and post pictures when done! I have to admit, seeing a lot of other peoples cages is what put me on the road to redoing all of theirs, lol.

Awesome job!!! Soooo fun! How many rats are in that cage? It is HUGE!!!

So sorry about your loss

Thank you. There were two, but now it's only Roo (my berkshire). I figure you can't have too much room. Eventually I'll get there with the chins.

Kristin,

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby passing. I hope that it's nothing that will affect Roo. I know this is a chin forum, but please keep us posted.

Your cages look fantastic!! Hope everyone is enjoying their new fleece and toys! If you don't mind may I use some of the photos on my website?

Thank you, Brittany, me too. Zara was my sweetie. I'm worried though because they say rats are such social creatures that being alone can cause depression amongst other things. I don't know what to do about Roo.

Of course you can. I was going to PM you, lol, but you were to quick for me. If you need bigger ones or different ones, let me know. Thanks again for all your hard work, they definitely are enjoying it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry about your rattie, too. We lost Thimble a while back, rats are fantastic pets but I really wish they had the lifespans of chinchillas.

On a lighter note, I love when I get packages for the chinnies or rats too! You'd think it was me that was getting presents, but they're always so grateful. It really makes it worth it.

So sorry to hear about your rat :(
We would be happy to come keep your other rat company. Plz call us!
-Minnie, Molly, Zombie and Rory

Sorry about that. My rats hijacked the computer.

NICE WORK!! Hang in there! RIP, sweet little Zara

I must admit that I really wasn't into any rodent other than a chinchilla when I first joined this forum but seeing pics and reading stories about them from members here made me see them in a different light. I'm so very sorry for your loss of Zara and I hope Roo will be ok emotionally and physically.

All I can say about your cages is :swoon: WOW! You did an awesome job on all of your cages! They look great and your babies look super happy and spoiled just the way it should be :D!

Cages look great - the chins cage is a bird cage right? Can you take more pictures of that wooden box part? Was that part of the cage or did you modify that?

And, also sorry to hear about Zara :(

We would be happy to come keep your other rat company. Plz call us!
-Minnie, Molly, Zombie and Rory

Hammie, that cracked me up, thanks. I needed that. :)

I must admit that I really wasn't into any rodent other than a chinchilla when I first joined this forum but seeing pics and reading stories about them from members here made me see them in a different light. I'm so very sorry for your loss of Zara and I hope Roo will be ok emotionally and physically.

All I can say about your cages is :swoon: WOW! You did an awesome job on all of your cages! They look great and your babies look super happy and spoiled just the way it should be :D!

I guess only time will tell. I'll have to post a video for you in a different section of Zara pea grabbing. It's adorable. I'm in my PJs in it, so you'll have to forgive me.

Cages look great - the chins cage is a bird cage right? Can you take more pictures of that wooden box part? Was that part of the cage or did you modify that?

And, also sorry to hear about Zara :(

I definitely will. It won't be tonight, but I should have time tomorrow night.
Yes, it's a bird cage and it was something my b/f and his dad did so that they had more room.

I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to put that down intending everyone to feel bad. I know this is a chin forum and I wasn't trying to sidetrack the subject. I just feel like after all this time I got them both into a great area to fully spoil them...and she gets sick.

I'm still stoked about these cages and wanted to thank you all for steering me in the right direction where it concerned my little faces (sorry nicknames, lol).

Of course you can. I was going to PM you, lol, but you were to quick for me. If you need bigger ones or different ones, let me know. Thanks again for all your hard work, they definitely are enjoying it.

Thanks, they're great! What's Zeph's buddy's name? Right now I just have 'Zeph and pal' as the caption on one of them.

I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to put that down intending everyone to feel bad. I know this is a chin forum and I wasn't trying to sidetrack the subject. I just feel like after all this time I got them both into a great area to fully spoil them...and she gets sick.

You have nothing to be sorry for. We all just want to let you know that we feel for you and are here for you! Hang in there!

Thanks, they're great! What's Zeph's buddy's name? Right now I just have 'Zeph and pal' as the caption on one of them.

Hehe, it's Zephyr and Imp.

Thanks, Ham.

VC -- I didn't forget about your pictures, unfortunately dealing with another sick animal. I'll post them up as soon as I get a chance to take them.

I definitely will. It won't be tonight, but I should have time tomorrow night.
Yes, it's a bird cage and it was something my b/f and his dad did so that they had more room.

I'm still stoked about these cages and wanted to thank you all for steering me in the right direction where it concerned my little faces (sorry nicknames, lol).
You sure have put a lot of work into the cages.

You're going to need to be very careful with that wooden box. I've had chins chew through wooden boxes overnight. I would never use one as an outside of a cage to contain them. Personally, I would put the chins in the huge CN and move your rat into the single level CN.

Back