Fighting boys!! Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kgcassard

My male chins have been living fine together for over 2 years, Neptune is 5 and Apollo is 3 & 1/2. This past week Apollo started chasing Neptune throughout the nights, pulling Neptune's fur, and even biting him! We separated them for a little while, putting Apollo in an exercise ball, but we don't have another cage - nor do we have room/money to get another one. Will they ever be able to live peacefully again, or do we need to get rid of one? What should I do in the meantime? Will they kill each other if I put them together again?

Yes, they can kill eachother. So can that plastic ball- it is a death trap for chins, please do not use it anymore. They don't get enough air and overheat.

If they have started biting, it is to the point where they need to be separated. Can you split the cage in 2? Can you get a ferret nation, which is 2 cages in 1. Or even check craigslist for used cages, lots of bird cages work well for chinchillas.

I cannot help but ask though- If you cannot afford even a $40 cage, how are you going to afford the vet bill when one of them gets hurt, or sick? Maybe you should look into rehoming one or both of them for their best interests.

Chinniechantel is correct. That plastic ball can kill them.. So like she said please don't use it. Chins don't sweat and he can overheat without you even knowing it and die.

There are many ways to try to get them to get along again, you can get a small tiny cage, one where only one chin will fit into (like a carrying case, but not plastic) and put it into the bigger cage (after cutting whiskers of the dominate chin) and put the smaller cage inside the bigger cage and let it stay there all day, then switch chins after a day. You can put a bit of either vanilla extract or vicks vapor rub on the nose. If you do this put a hideout in the smaller cage, and I would put the more dominate one (the one that starts) in there so that when he gets tired of arguing he can hide out.

Then there is a method called smooshing that some people love and some people hate. But again you would need to buy a small cage so that they can't move around, put the stuff on their noses and they will argue and try to fight, but if the cage is small enough they can't actually fight.

Here's one thing I found on the internet about smooshing, but this is the first time i read it this way but maybe it will help:

One method if introduction is the "Smoosh" method. Basically, take two smaller cages that are just big enough to house each chinchilla and put them side by side in a larger cage. This allows them to get used to each other's scent without giving them enough room to fight, should they feel the need to. It's best to use the Smoosh method during the day, when the chins will be less active.

If that doesn't work, or you don't have the means to try that method, having two cages side by side for a while may be your best option. After a few days, try switching cages so that Chin 1 goes into Chin 2's cage and vice versa. Again, this allows them to get used to each other's scent and usually prevents injuries from possible fighting.

Here's a link I found for you:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mixing-chins-techniques-for-introducing-two-or-more-chinchillas.html

I don't know what else I can say, maybe some of the more experienced people in here will have better answers.

Best of luck to you,
Jean

It could very easily lead to the death of one or both or your chins if you continue to put them together. It is highly recommended that you have a cage available for each of your chinchillas because they can at any time decide they no longer want to live together peacefully. Using the run-about ball is not an appropriate living solution nor are they recommended in general. The Ferret Nation 142 is a great cage because it can be separated into two at any time, I would recommend that for you. You need to act quickly though, the situation is already out of hand. Even if you get them together now without mishap, since this has happened once, it can easily happen again. It's not a chance I would want to take. Good luck!

They may be able to peaceably live together again, but unfortunately, there's a huge chance that they also will not.

My two male chins also started fighting, and I had to separate them. At the time, one lived in the huge cage that they were originally sharing, while the other lived in a smaller cage that I had on hand. (Definitely always a good idea to keep a spare cage on hand "just in case.") I eventually bought a Ferret Nation cage, split the cage in two, and now both chins live happily, albeit separately. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Can you go to your local pet store and pick up a ~$30-40 cage to house one of the chins and place it on top of the cage you have now?

I agree on separating them, but I also realize that the Ferret Nation is incredibly expensive when you are short on cash.

When I needed a cage quick for some baby rats, I called around to the mom and pop type pet stores and asked if they had any used cages they didn't need anymore. I picked up a nice one for $10.00! It was no ferret nation of course, but it did a good job for what I needed it for. See if you can find a cage that way, or as mentioned, on Craigslist. Even if it's not the biggest cage, for right now the important thing is to get them separated. You can worry about a bigger, better, nicer cage later, as long as the one you find is chin safe. :)

It could very easily lead to the death of one or both or your chins if you continue to put them together. It is highly recommended that you have a cage available for each of your chinchillas because they can at any time decide they no longer want to live together peacefully. Using the run-about ball is not an appropriate living solution nor are they recommended in general. The Ferret Nation 142 is a great cage because it can be separated into two at any time, I would recommend that for you. You need to act quickly though, the situation is already out of hand. Even if you get them together now without mishap, since this has happened once, it can easily happen again. It's not a chance I would want to take. Good luck!

So what you, tunes and konayipark are saying that once cage mates and they start fighting that they may never ever be friends again? Again, not trying to steal the thread, just trying to learn more myself, that way i get smarter and can offer better advice and also help myself too.

Thanks.
Jean

Nope, what we're saying is if you have two chins, you MUST have two cages. At the very least, a cat carrier nearby as a temporary holding pen until you can get another cage. A runabout ball is definitely not appropriate for chins, and not in this situation.

There is a chance they can go back together. But I've found more often than not, once there is a clear fight (not just a little tuft of fur laying here or there) then it's time to separate and leave them separated. Sure, you can try and re-intro, but for me it wouldn't be worth it. I ended up with a brother turning on a brother once and he ended up with a completely skinned back - and I do mean skinned. He was open to the muscle. Just not worth it to me to risk it in most cases.

Nope, what we're saying is if you have two chins, you MUST have two cages. At the very least, a cat carrier nearby as a temporary holding pen until you can get another cage. A runabout ball is definitely not appropriate for chins, and not in this situation.

There is a chance they can go back together. But I've found more often than not, once there is a clear fight (not just a little tuft of fur laying here or there) then it's time to separate and leave them separated. Sure, you can try and re-intro, but for me it wouldn't be worth it. I ended up with a brother turning on a brother once and he ended up with a completely skinned back - and I do mean skinned. He was open to the muscle. Just not worth it to me to risk it in most cases.

Okay Peggy thank you for clearing that up. I thought that's what you guys meant but wanted to make sure.

I hope that never happens to my guys sharing a cage, do you know why all of sudden some chins just start fighting after being cagemates?

Jean

My two rescue boys had been together all their lives, about 3 years. I tried everything, whisker trimming worked a little bit but I have had to separate them. Check with a ferret rescue in your area for a cage

Sorry I missed the short on cash comment. I hope you are able to find an inexpensive cage so you can separate your chins!

Thank you all for your replies and help. Good pet stores/supplies are limited in my city , so I was able to find a temporary cage for now. Also, thanks for the heads up on the exercise balls - I had no idea! It's amazing how uneducated the local pet store associates are!

Again, thank you all very much!

There are many ways to try to get them to get along again, you can get a small tiny cage, one where only one chin will fit into (like a carrying case, but not plastic) and put it into the bigger cage (after cutting whiskers of the dominate chin) and put the smaller cage inside the bigger cage and let it stay there all day, then switch chins after a day. You can put a bit of either vanilla extract or vicks vapor rub on the nose. If you do this put a hideout in the smaller cage, and I would put the more dominate one (the one that starts) in there so that when he gets tired of arguing he can hide out.

Then there is a method called smooshing that some people love and some people hate. But again you would need to buy a small cage so that they can't move around, put the stuff on their noses and they will argue and try to fight, but if the cage is small enough they can't actually fight.

Here's one thing I found on the internet about smooshing, but this is the first time i read it this way but maybe it will help:

One method if introduction is the "Smoosh" method. Basically, take two smaller cages that are just big enough to house each chinchilla and put them side by side in a larger cage. This allows them to get used to each other's scent without giving them enough room to fight, should they feel the need to. It's best to use the Smoosh method during the day, when the chins will be less active.

If that doesn't work, or you don't have the means to try that method, having two cages side by side for a while may be your best option. After a few days, try switching cages so that Chin 1 goes into Chin 2's cage and vice versa. Again, this allows them to get used to each other's scent and usually prevents injuries from possible fighting.

Smooshing only takes one small cage-just barely big enough for both chins to be inside at the same time-thus being too small for them to fight...

Just thought I'd add that in:thumbsup:

Back