Ferret Nation Liner Help!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmonty0726

I am ordering a Ferret Nation 182 Double Unit, and I am going to make Fleece Liners myself, I went to my Aunt's summer sewing camp 3 years in a row, and have made many things including things for my daughter. Now, the thing is, I know how to make the Fleece Liners, but I don't know how much fleece I need. I would need to make two full sets. 4 shelves, 2 main pans, and 2 2nd level floor covers. How much Fleece would I need for that? I want to make an extra set so when I switch I have a clean set right away.

What kind of covers do you want? I recommend the pillow case style... One layer on top of the pan and one on bottom. I usually use a print for the top and solid on the bottom. If you're making them this way, remember to make the top a bit longer so you can tuck it under the pan. I always leave around 4" or more since it does shrink.

Recently, I bought 6 yards total... Which made two sets.

I made the following with very little left over:
2 tube covers(6" x 10" tubes)
2 hammocks
4 large pan covers

So you are definitely going to want at least 6 yards total(for me, three print and three solid).
If you want to make them two layers thick on top, add another three yards to that.

Last edited:
When I made my liners I made them with one colour of fleece and just used a few old towels as a middle absorbent layers *the towels happened to be pretty much exactly the width I needed, add I had to do was cut to length and account for the cutout). For each set of 2 liners for my CN I believe I went through roughly two to two and a half meters. This was just for the main pans though, I didn't make any shelf pan covers. You'd have to add on to that.

Last edited:
I ended up getting 7 yards, Jo-Ann Fabrics is having a sale on Blizzard Fleece this week, I got 7 yards for $22.50! I am going to make 4 large pan, 4 shelves, atleast 1 tube cover, and if I have enough, a hammock. I am going to use old towels in between layers for the 4 large pans! I ordered my FN 182, on Wayfair.com and I got for $161 because I had 10% off discount code, and I got free 2-day shipping and it will be here Wednesday!! I can't wait! I will hopefully be making shelves, and tube over the weekend.

Pillowcase style is easy enough. I would measure the size of the tray, and make it at least an inch or two larger on every side.
After that, you want to add some room for a seam.

I always just guess with how large I cut mine. At first, I wasted a lot of fleece.
I always used 3 layers and I've found that only using two works a lot better. I hated using towels because they weren't big enough.

Better to make the liners too big than too small. XD

I am using one layer of towel on the main levels with two layers of fleece, and two layers of fleece on the shelves. My boyfriend is making loads of perches for her. and tube. I got 2 shelves cases done. It has taken me several hours due to the fact I have to sew them by hand. I added 4 inches on each side. I am afraid of shrinking, so I added two extra inches to allow for that.

They do shrink a bit. I thought mine would be fine but I can't even use them anymore. You'll get better as you learn.... I made probably 3-4 sets before I got it right. XD

Buying some from someone helps too. ^,^

Back