Ferret Nation good for wooden shelves ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickv0195

Nick
So i plan on getting the ferret nation cage for my birthday tommorow, and i planned on leaving the middle floor out putting a bunch of wooden shelves in. I've noticed in pictures people have wooden shelves in there ,bbut i dont get how you get them to stay on if the bars are vertical ? If you do have one please explain how you got them to stay ?

You need to make sure your shelves come with (or you buy) big enough washers to go across the bars. Tightened with wing nuts, they don't move around much.

The pic is of a half-fleece-tube, but the same applies with wood shelves.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 37
I use the 1 1/2" washers (1/4" hole) and the 1/4" by 1 1/2" lag bolts. I know many people use the hanger bolts but I always seem to strip the threads. LOL!

Here is a pic of the hardware I use.
100_5620.jpg

Last edited:
Most ledges that you purchase from the folks on here or from QC etc, come with washers large enough for the FN. I also tend to put heavier ledges at a level where the bolt is at a cross bar. If you do by chance not have washers large enough, they are fairly cheap. I actually made some of my own washers for my chins spin out of some sheet metal because the ones that came with it are not quite as wide as wanted.

I use the 1 1/2" washers (1/4" hole) and the 1/4" by 1 1/2" lag bolts. I know many people use the hanger bolts but I always seem to strip the threads. LOL!

I like using lag bolts, too. They just seem easier to deal with. And I either strip the threads or destroy a wing nut trying to twist the bolt into the wood, haha. But if you want to be able to move the shelves around, it would be easier with hanger bolts. I couldn't ever find them short enough when I was making shelves for the spare cage and now they always poke me, heh.

There are some tutorials on how to make shelves, Nick, with explanations that would answer your question (and pictures on one). Probably searching home made shelves would bring something up.

Gorilla-Making your own washers? Hardcore.

Last edited:
Back