Female urinating to mark territory?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany

Mia Bella Vita
Hey C-n-H,

I haven't been on the forum in ages, but I enjoy keeping up with a lot of you via facebook! I'm in my 2nd year of teaching, and loving every minute of it; although it keeps me very busy.

Lady did the oddest thing the other night, and I'd like your opinion on it:

I've been dating someone for a few months now, and he spends a lot of time at my place. He's great with the chins, and I often catch him talking to, and scritching, them. Surprisingly Lady has been receptive to his attention. Her usual response to guests is to make this horrible crying noise (Sandi, you know exactly what I'm talking about). Since things have been going so well I decided to have my boyfriend join us for play time. Lady was enjoying herself, and stopped to allow my boyfriend to pet her. Immediately after he was done she jumped into my lap and proceeded to pee all over me! :vomit:

I was shocked because the only time a chin has peed on me was when I was holding them for a prolonged period of time at the vets office. Lady is very particular about where she pees both in her cage, and during play time. This is very out of character for her. Is it just highly coincidental, or was she marking me as her territory? Do chinchillas do that? Is it possible that she was scared of him? Lady used to live with my ex, but hasn't spent significant time around a man since I moved 3 years ago.

I don't know if people can cause that response or not. Wouldn't surprise me though.

I have a female foster chin that has become very attached to me. If I let any other chin out for playtime before her, I can just plan on getting peed on. She climbs on my lap, puts her nose right in my face and then pees. I know she is marking me. I wear a bib just for those occasions. ;)

Back