Female chinchilla with genital discharge?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittje

Hi guys! I just registered but am a proud owner of a lovely 4 year old female chin, Chansey.

She has always been in good health and never had any problems, no pregnancies or anything not a breeder chin.
Today while looking her cage I noticed her lower belly and genital area seemed a bit "sticky outy" when she was sitting on all fours, like it looked portruding out from under her. When I picked her up she was NOT happy, very touchy and she had a clear-white discharge coming out of her genitals ! :( I have never, ever seen this before and she is being very very cranky. She is eating, drinking, pooing, and playing fine. I just noticed this today (saturday night) and there are no vets near me open on sunday, other than one that is known to be bad/very expensive. can anyone offer me advice? I am so scared for her I would be devastated if anything happened to her.

tumblr_mrlv84Jdzr1qa6nhao1_1280.jpg

Chansey needs your help, thank you!

My first thought with vaginal discharge is pyometra. Female chins can have a normal discharge, but the fact that she has never had this before and she's four, coupled with her not being herself, would make me very concerned. The good thing is, if it is pyometra, that it is open pyometra because you can see the discharge. Closed pyometra often times is found too late.

Pyometra is an infection in the uterus, that if caught soon enough, can be treated with antibiotics. Other times, it requires a spay. An experienced chin vet should be able to tell you one way or the other.

Fingers crossed that it is a normal discharge, but I would get her to a vet to be checked ASAP.

My first thought with vaginal discharge is pyometra. Female chins can have a normal discharge, but the fact that she has never had this before and she's four, coupled with her not being herself, would make me very concerned. The good thing is, if it is pyometra, that it is open pyometra because you can see the discharge. Closed pyometra often times is found too late.

Pyometra is an infection in the uterus, that if caught soon enough, can be treated with antibiotics. Other times, it requires a spay. An experienced chin vet should be able to tell you one way or the other.

Fingers crossed that it is a normal discharge, but I would get her to a vet to be checked ASAP.

i took her to the vet on monday (none had anyone available on sunday) and they examined her, said there was no inflammation around her uterus or anything. they felt her stomach and everything. Her vagina was a bit irritated but they said probably just from grooming. she had no discharge sunday, monday, or tuesday so they think she is just in heat! she is behaving normally now but we are keeping an eye on her. thank you for your reply

a2ac9c16196411e3a3c622000a1f9a51_7.jpg

urgh, pyometra. I've been down this route twice with two of my old girls. Both times resulted in emergency spays, as the discharge/infection would not clear despite aggressive antibiotic treatment. Both my girls had staph infections.... you could see the clusters of cocci under the microscope quite clearly.

The spays are very hard on the chins, but with plenty of care and vast amounts of critical care, they can get through it. Good pain meds, antibiotics, and good hydration are both essential for their recoveries.

You definitely need a vet who is good with chins....it is better to do a long drive to reach a competent vet, then go 15mins down the road to someone who has only treated a handful of chins. We drive 45mins to our chinny vet.

Best of wishes to you and your girl xxxxx

urgh, pyometra. I've been down this route twice with two of my old girls. Both times resulted in emergency spays, as the discharge/infection would not clear despite aggressive antibiotic treatment. Both my girls had staph infections.... you could see the clusters of cocci under the microscope quite clearly.

The spays are very hard on the chins, but with plenty of care and vast amounts of critical care, they can get through it. Good pain meds, antibiotics, and good hydration are both essential for their recoveries.

You definitely need a vet who is good with chins....it is better to do a long drive to reach a competent vet, then go 15mins down the road to someone who has only treated a handful of chins. We drive 45mins to our chinny vet.

Best of wishes to you and your girl xxxxx

I went to a vet who has excellent ratings with exotics and excellent ratings in general (oakland animal hospital, NJ) and Chansey has had no discharge since. her behavior is fine other than being timid(we are in the process of moving) I believe she is okay! i hope.

Back