Fell in QC Chin Mansion

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikaelaW

Hi all - I may be paranoid but I'm hoping to get some advice.

I was slowly unlatching the top door of my chinchilla mansion & my chin jumped on the lava ledge connected to the door. She must have snuck up there without me realizing as I was grabbing hay (I feel awful) she got startled as the door opened, jumped off and tried to catch her footing on the way down - from what I saw she jumped onto shelves (I have shelves in somewhat of a cyclone around the cage so she was never far from one) but she didn't quite grasp footing on all and ended up (feet first) on the bottom of her cage (in full this was less than a 3-foot jump down).

I'm just worried because of she as definitely scared/angry - but I want to be sure there was no damage. From what I saw (it was very fast) she landed on her feet - and somewhat on her flying saucer wheel. She ate, chewed on a toy, ate hay, jumped around outside her cage & let me feel her body/giving a light massage. She didn't push me away or try to bite.

This was her worst fall in her cage and it just has me worried. If she were injured I know they hide it, so any things to watch for or be aware of would be so helpful. Thank you

It sounds like she may be ok, other then a bit shaken up from the scare of the fall. Watch for favoring any of her legs, not using a paw, not wanting to move or eat as much as normal, stuff like that, as well as any swelling indicating an injury.

It sounds like she may be ok, other then a bit shaken up from the scare of the fall. Watch for favoring any of her legs, not using a paw, not wanting to move or eat as much as normal, stuff like that, as well as any swelling indicating an injury.

Thank you - I have been watching her closely and I haven’t seen anything abnormal. I’ve been checking for swelling and all feels typical - but will keep monitoring her!

I made/added a large hammock to stretch across the open area of her cage, which she hates - but should also prevent this in the future!

Back