Feeling guilty

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maia

Forever Weird
Lately Sebastian has not been getting his out-of-cage playtime. Ever since summer has arrived, there has been a massive outbreak of spiders in our apartment, of which I am TERRIFIED. They seem to like the kitchen and bathroom the most, and the bathroom is the only chin proof room in our tiny apt. The last time I took him out for playtime and sat down on the bathmat to spend time with him, I saw a HUGE spider just chillin under the cabinet, and of course I screamed like a girl, grabbed Sebastian and ran away. This big spider managed to escape from Derek when he came in to murder it, so it's still in there somewhere, and as I type there are TWO spiders behind the toilet waiting for Derek to come home and squish them. It's just insane. :hair: If I knew someone locally who could take the cat and Sebastian for a few days, I would totally want an exterminator to come.

I guess I just want assurance that I am not being a bad chin mom. He still gets his baths, of course, and I've been trying to give him extra cuddles and scratches all the time. He's also been getting more apple sticks from my guilt. I guess I shouldn't be worried about him not getting exercise since he has a chin spin he loves, but I know he loves to run around, and since I got him he's gotten playtime, if not daily, then at least 3 or 4 nights a week until now. What would you guys do? :banghead:

I am in the same boat as you. After a year of playtime in the bathroom, my chin has JUST discovered the caulk on the sides of the tub and will not leave it alone. The second we go in there, she starts chewing at it and refuses to give it up. Until I think of some kind of solution, Banilly hasn't really been getting any playtime :((

I have this problem. We are in the basement, and sometimes we get those giant wolf spider things. Ewww. (I haven't seen any in about a month-watch now that I say that, as soon as I log off the computer I will find one...)

There are a lot of things in my room for the chins to squeeze into/behind, so we got a playpen. I set it up in the middle of the room and let them play in there. That way, I don't have to worry about what they are getting into. And then I don't have to search the room for poo. I can just vacuum after I take down the pen.

So much easier.

They don't escape the play pen? What kind did you get?

I don't recall the brand off the top of my head. Marshall maybe. Bought it at Pet supply plus for like 35$, you could probably find it cheaper online somewhere.

You certainly have to watch them while they are in it. I have a few chins that will try to jump out the top/ climb up the sides. You can buy a bottom for the pen, and use that as a top though. Or you could toss a sheet or something over the top. That would work. Ours aren't too bad about jumping out...for the most part. We do have one that we have to watch like a hawk...silly chins.

Yes, I was also going to recommend a playpen as well but really he'll be fine whithout outside of cage playtime. The playpen I have comes with a zippered top and a bottom that velcroves on to the sides of the playpen. I have 5 chins and none have ever escaped from it. It's the large Ware pop-up playpen and I believe if you google it you should find it for around $79.
Here are a few pics of my boys in it and the best part is that it easily falls flat and comes in a carrying case.

zippered top -

ivory.jpg

bottom that velcroves to the side/bottom of the playpen -

ebweird.jpg

aerial view (there's lots of room for toys and wall surfing)

IMG_0546.jpg

stock photo -

791611020814c.jpg

Sandi, I have seen that playpen and I really want it, but I have been unemployed since January (wow that is painful to admit, not for lack of job hunting btw) and my apartment is TINY. I mean, I would have to move the couch to fit it. We are looking for a waaay bigger place to move when our lease expires next year, though. Chin space is a must for that.

Aw, I'm sorry but truthfully your chinnie will be fine without playtime until the spider situation subsides (I'm real scared of them too), especially since he has a chin spin and you pay lots of attention to him. Good luck with the job hunting.

Just give your chin lot's of love and they will be fine, so stop feeling guilty.

First thing that came to my mind when I read this post was that someone's chin died from eating a spider. This has been a few years ago and I don't quite remember all the facts at this time. Maybe one of the older members would remember the situation. I'm sure it was a different species so I hope I am not scaring you.

I hope you get the spider problem solved soon. Best wishes and good luck.

I don't have the same exact problem but I can relate. I originally built a cardboard playpen, it's rather shoddy and degenerated so much I had to throw it out. My apartment doesn't have AC, but my room does so I can't really bring her into the living room or kitchen or bathroom for playtime. I would let her in my room, but I can't find a way to block her from getting under my bed. I can chin proof the rest of the room and have but I can't keep her from eating the paint on the bottom of the walls that my bed is against, ya know? And paying $80 for, basically a really tiny pop-up tent doesn't sit well with me. I'm thinking of buying more cardboard, but not in box form (like corrugated paper sort of) and getting mesh to put on top and bottom. Basically making my own pop-up playpen. I figure it's gotta be cheaper--even if you mess up and have to start all over again.

Just as an FYI, the pop up tent that most of us use really isn't all that tiny. I can sit inside and play with the chins. It is also very much worth the $80. Just sayin. :p

i really wanted that pop up tent but my fiance' surprised me with a white metal playpen that costs about 30 bucks. i felt bad returnng it, so i kept it. it has a window that i could open and attach another playpen to either do 2 chins at once or one big playpen.
he bought the cover for it, but so far my chins have not been able to jump out of it, so we returned it.

even just the one has been a Godsend! I am able to take my boys out and have them be a few feet away from me while i clean their cages. i can sit next to it and chat with them. i have a dustbath, pvc tube, little cardboard house and a couple little things, they LOVE it! and i get to take them out SO much more often. I always felt guilty too but now every other or every 3rd night everyone gets out for about 20 minutes.

I have three of the same playpen, but my chins make wholes and also lift the bottom to escape. don't you have the same problem as mine?

paying $80 for, basically a really tiny pop-up tent doesn't sit well with me.

For me, this was the best money spent, it is not tiny and my boys jump and wall surf in it and like Crysta says below, we can sit in it and let the chins jump all over us. :))

Just as an FYI, the pop up tent that most of us use really isn't all that tiny. I can sit inside and play with the chins. It is also very much worth the $80. Just sayin.

Ditto! :D

I have three of the same playpen, but my chins make wholes and also lift the bottom to escape. don't you have the same problem as mine?

No, my boys have never chewed nor escaped from it. I've had mine for over 3 years but only the last 16 months it has been used for my chins. I've put the bottom/floor canvas liner in the washing machine at least 15 times and let it air dry and it's still good as new.

Hhhhmmm...now you're all making me wonder about getting the ware playpen. But $80...I just---I don't know if I can handle it!!! Not that I don't have the money, but, well, I was raised to be frugal in a way. I basically spend the majority of my money (maybe second to rent) on Chloe (happily, of course. I love her to pieces!!!) to begin with, so maybe it isn't too crazy. But $80?!?!?! C'MON!!!! Gah, I'm torn. Utterly torn.

Back