fastidious hog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhufflepuff

super-duper hedgiepig
After years of poopy wheels, messy feet, and other poo-related joy, I find myself in the company of a clean hedgie. I almost don't know what to do.
Miss Bella leaves her wheels clean... as a result, her wheelmats are clean and her feet are clean. She doesn't require dish mats as she leaves no crumbs. And tonight, she turned around so her hiney was hanging outside her hedgiebag to make a poop.
What is this?! How will I ever know to change her liner?! It's madness I tell you!!

As a rescue who's been through a lot in a short period of time, she's been rather skittish so I haven't tried to get a camera out yet. Her full name is Bella Stormrider Hufflepuff. Bella spent about 2 weeks with Kalandra before coming to her forever home with me -- she helped bridge the gap between Bella needing a new home ASAP and my schedule that took me out of town for a bit. This is how she acquired her middle name.

So far, she appears to be rather tidy. And rather huffy. She definitely has a curious side and wants to explore. But any small change - someone talking, a slight move that she did not initiate, etc -- and she quickly goes into defensive mode. There's been a lot of huffing and puffing. And plenty of erect quills. Happily, though, she settles down and will snuggle and explore after the fear abates. I am hopeful that, with experience, she'll learn she is in her forever home and that it is a very safe and loving place so that she need not be so scared and huffy.

Awww, I hope she settles in for you. I'm sure once she is more comfortable she will make a bigger mess for you to clean up. :p i will try to be patient waiting for pics!

I absolutely love it. Welcome to the frustrating world of clean hedgehogs ;).

Time to get an odometer!

Given the lack of poop and crumbs everywhere, I'd been starting to doubt that she was a hedgie. But then she anointed on Hedgiedaddy last night. That's the second time she's done that :) It's been over a year since I've seen anyone anoint. So far, I've only seen her nail her right side. I wonder if she'll get more parts in the future.

Miss Satin would get her left side, right side, top of her head, belly/tail area. After she was finished anointing, there was no clean place left to hold her. Texie never anointed.

Back