eye issue turnd to something else....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
she had pyo..... i guess she started to decline again really early this morning and the vet said she had a white discharge from her "girl parts" and she had pyo and was toxic. she was loosing control of her balance and falling over. so i asked them to euthanize her for me. they did a necropsy just to make sure that was the only issue and x-ray her mouth just in case she did have teeth issues too (would explain the wet eyes).

the vet said her uterus was very inflamed and full of pus.. but everything else looked normal.

she had a litter march of 2010, 2 healthy boys but in 2009 (her first breeding) she had a single stillborn kit. i hadn't planned to breed her again till this fall.....

they let me come pick her up today at 5pm and i will bury her when the ground thaws out. until then she will be in my freezer... :cry3:

im so sorry for your loss :(
at least she is not in pain or discomfort anymore. RIP sweet chinnie.

thanks guys,

she will be missed dearly, she was so sweet and would come up to the front of her cage begging for attention... :tissue:

is there any way to help identify it faster? the vet asked me if she was in heat a week or so before she passed... i told her i didnt know. but now with my pedigree program i might be able to track heat cycles and keep an eye on my other girls? is that possible? do they pick up on each others heat cycle and all go about the same time or are the usually consistent with their own set cycle?

Last edited:
Oh no, I'm so sorry. Pyometra sounds like a nightmare since it's one of the hardest diseases to get chins to pull through. To be honest, I've never heard of a chin that did.

Back