Exposing chins to virus...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GorillaJTA

That guy.
For whatever reason, stress or whatever, I have come up with a shingles rash. Shingles is caused by varicella zoster (chicken pox which is a herpes virus) and I know that other herpes viruses can be very dangerous for chins.

Can I keep them in my room while it clears up or should I start sleeping somewhere else? They do not get physical playtime with me right now, but I can get someone else to feed and water them. Are there any other precautions I can take besides "avoid them at all costs?"

I don't have a concrete answer Jer, but if it was me I'd avoid them at all costs. When I have a cold sore outbreak I will wear gloves when changing food etc... just because I don't want to risk transmitting anything to them. If they normally play in your room I would recommened cleaning throughly when your shingles clears up. I worked with a teacher last year who came down with shingles, she was miserable I hope everything clears up soon!

EDIT: I bet your vet could tell you how much of a danger it is to them?

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the virus that causes shingles is different than the virus that causes cold sores. The shingles/chicken pox virus is specific to humans.

However I've also been told that all human herpes virus are specific to humans only and can't be contracted from animals, but as stated there is theory that chins can contract the herpes virus from cold sores.

Better safe than sorry....

Since you've likely had the virus for years, they could already have it too. Which is fine if it remains dormant. It causes latent infections in rodents just like it does in humans.

I don't think you can pass VZV without really having physical contact. I would say get someone else to feed/water them or wear gloves etc.

I really don't know much about this, but that would be my two cents.

EDIT: I don't know if there are different species-specific strains like Stacie said. If there are, in that case, your chins are fine.

RE-EDIT: looks like VZV is species specific. I would look it up and confirm or ask someone, but from my few minutes of googling it seems it is. I guess they use a different strain to test it in lab rodents.

Last edited:
Sorry, Jer, hope you get better soon. I also don't have any concrete knowledge, but would err on the side of safety and remain as isolated from the chins as possible. It would just be one less concern for you, knowing your chins are safe.

Back