Expirey date help? Mazuri

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vcchinchilla

Hey guys I just bought this and I can't tell hat the expirey date is
Here's a picture

df4b0b80.jpg

Expirey date help ! Mazuri

Hi everyone I got this food but I don't know when the expirey date all I understand is January I think.., how long can it be open for?
df4b0b80.jpg

That is not an expiration date. That is a milled on date- basically the date it was made. I think it says Jan 11, 2012. I think the general recommendation is the more recently milled the better and to try to use it within 3 months of opening it.

Right on! That is the mill date. Generally speaking-feed is good for 6 months from the mill date unopened. After that is starts the vitamins and minerals start decreasing with age. Feed is good for 3 months once opened. Personally I won't feed a bag that is 6 months old. My chins tend to turn their noses up to it when it is 5 months old. I'm sure it is stale tasting by then.

Jessica

It was milled on January 11th - it's good until maybe June-ish.

If your chins use about 2 lbs each every month, you'll only use maybe half of it. It's only a couple months old now, so it's perfectly fine...but in about three to four months you'll need to get fresh food. Like Jessica said...once you open it, it will be alright for about three months. Store it inside in a cool place...don't keep it in the garage or some place where it could get warm and spoil faster.

Don't freeze it, that can cause condensation and then mold to occur after you thaw it out. It's best to just keep the food in a cool, dry place like a pantry or in a closet. I keep the bags that I am storing for later use in a very cold air conditioned storage area. (But, I use all my food within three weeks of bringing it here, any open bag is used within about a day!)

Back