Exercise

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josie

I've had chinchillas for three years now, which doesn't feel like long. I've done a lot of research on them and I noticed they need to get regular exercise. Though I try, I've found it hard to make sure this happens. I don't feel like I have the time to spend with them. Also, I don't really have any chinchilla-proof rooms that I can just let them loose in. However, I do have a rabbit gate from when I used to have rabbits, but after letting them run with that I've found they can get out. What should I do? Also, how often should they be let out? If I remember right, it's something like twice a week for two hours ish. I should probably mention that I am allergic to chinchillas. The weird thing is I didn't notice this until I got a second one last year. It doesn't bother me too much, as long as I don't touch my eyes after holding them I am usually fine, with the exception of sneezing. I'm currently in High School, so I'm usually pretty busy with school assignments. I realize this makes me sound like I am unfit to be a chinchilla owner, but I really hope that is not the case. I love animals and that is why I am even saying anything. I know I am not giving my chinchillas the exercise they need, so I am here asking for advice on how I can. Technically, I share my chinchillas with some of my siblings, but I am the main caretaker. So I can get help from them as far as making sure they get exercise. My older sister helped pay for my first chinchilla and I am sure she'd be willing to help. Anyway, any and all help is appreciated!

The exercise requirements seem to vary depending on who you talk to, as well as your personal chin's needs. They aren't like a dog that need walks everyday or anything, and technically if they have a big enough cage don't need exercise, they can run around the cage, so just daily interaction for mental stimulation. Also if you get a chin safe wheel, minimum diameter of 14" for small chins or flying saucer style, 15-16" for larger ones and drum style wheels, solid metal (no mesh or spokes), then they can get physical exercise in the cage. Safe wheels are expensive though, especially if noise is an issue. If you are in the US the cheapest ones I've found are on Etsy, Pandamonium Pets has several ranging from cheap but noisy to more expensive but quiet. There is also the Metal flying saucer , the metal treadmill , chin sprint , and the chin spin to name a few. As for play time area, would it be possible rather they trying to pen them in use the fencing to block off areas instead, like for example pen in your bed so they can't get under it? You can even make cheap barriers out of cardboard boxes.

I understand school is busy, but more important then getting to run around is daily interaction, they really need a minimum of an hour a day. When I was in school I use to do my homework with the chins out or even do reading assignments aloud to them while they were in their cages.

Thank you for your advice Amethyst! I have a wheel that they seem to love and run on a lot. I never really thought about using the fencing to block areas, I'll try that. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and advice!!!

Back