End of Life Care

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We did manage to get hold of Science Selective Recovery from our pet shop, but sadly despite this and managing to hand feed Junior, he went to sleep for the last time yesterday 😢 He passed very peacefully, which I am extremely grateful for.

Gutted he's gone but still cannot believe he reached 22. Amazing little pets, that leave a massive whole in your heart 💙

Thanks for all your advice.
Lots of love to you. It's so hard losing our pets.

Hi all. I am new here and recently went through the same thing. My chinny was 21 and had all the same symptoms. He was checked out by a vet and had teeth and digestive issues ruled out. It was just old age for our guy and he lost interest in eating hays/pellets but instead of force feeding him I ground up his pellets into powder and mixed that with Critical Care and warm water. Just enough warm water to form soft cubes and he lived on that for a year. Even gained weight. He passed very peacefully in his sleep on good futons for sleeping a few months ago.
The vet said to try baby food, peanut butter or juice mixed in with the cubes instead of water but I never bothered. He ate them plain and I was afraid of bloat with all the sugars.
You could try the cubes? Good luck with your chinny.
I agree with you, this happened with my friend's son and the baby is now healthy.

Reactions: Mel
We did manage to get hold of Science Selective Recovery from our pet shop, but sadly despite this and managing to hand feed Junior, he went to sleep for the last time yesterday 😢 He passed very peacefully, which I am extremely grateful for.

Gutted he's gone but still cannot believe he reached 22. Amazing little pets, that leave a massive whole in your heart 💙

Thanks for all your advice.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Back