Edgar Has Been Diagnosed With Malo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazicat

Edgar's eye was off so we took him to the vet today. His fur has been a little greasy around one eye for a few days. Sadly they think that it is malo and can see a spur on his front tooth. They took x rays and should be emailing them tomorrow. They recommended a consult with UC Davis and we are waiting for that as well. Edgar seems to be doing great and has no change in eating or behavior. I am so thankful we took him to the vet without hesitation because this could only have gotten worse.

I know right now we can only wait for x rays but need help interpreting them. Is there anyone here who can help me if I post them as soon as I get them?

It looks like moderate elongtion without malocclusion-there is a labial point that could bother the tongue and can easily be trimmed off, but the maxillary roots are elongated more so than the mandibular ones, hense they have more than likely blocked the lacrimal duct causing the weepy eye(s), this condition can go on for awhile before it becomes a issue, I had one advanced elongation chin without malo who weighed 1100gms and ate well and chewed like a demon up until a month or so when it all went wrong fast, he passed away shortly after symptoms showed up. The second to the last x-ray shows the occlusal plane is nice and flat, just that one point.

Last edited:
Thank you so very much. Our vet didn't want to comment too much because he isn't an expert and is referring us to UC Davis. I also really trust your knowledge because sadly you've had to deal with this before. I'm going to keep updating about Edgar just because I think it's helpful for others who may one day have to deal with this. Our goal is to keep him as happy and healthy as we can for as long as we can so I am may have more questions as well.

He would be a candidate for moderate pain relief in the future, metecam or metecam and tramadol together will keep him comfortable if he starts showing pain symptoms.

He would be a candidate for moderate pain relief in the future, metecam or metecam and tramadol together will keep him comfortable if he starts showing pain symptoms.

We plan on keeping a very close eye on him. I really thank you for your help.

UC Davis say that his teeth are even on both sides and fine other than the spur. I don't agree and told the vet we wanted at least one x ray in 6 months to see how he's doing. Edgar is also going into the vet tomorrow to get eye drops, antibiotics and his spur removed. I'll post again when we get him home.

Edgar is home from having the spur removed and it went very well. I gave him his daily shreddie when we got home and he's eating it. I am hoping this means he's not in pain. Now we will begin to weigh him very regularly and watching for any new symptoms.

They gave us antibiotics and eye cream because UC Davis says the eye is not related to the teeth. Should I give them to him?

Edgar has recovered from his filing and is doing very well. We haven't given him the medicine because his eye is better and the vet didn't give a diagnosis. She's just giving medicine based on UC Davis saying he only had a spur and I think they are wrong.

Thank you Ticklechin for your help. Any further advice and help is very welcome.

Just keep a close eye on his weight, the point may or may not come back but if pain starts due to the roots, slow weight loss will be the first sign.

Poor Edgar has slowed on eating and has soft poops. This just started because he was fine last night. I took a look at his front tooth and can visibly see the spur so the vet must not have gotten it all. The emergency vet doesn't have anyone to file him tonight so I am calling first thing in the morning. If our local emergency vet doesn't have someone to see him I'll be making a lot of phone calls until I find one who will.

ET for spelling.

No vet in the county will see Edgar today about the spur on his tooth. We will try tomorrow to get a new vet for him and if we can't take him to the old one so he's comfortable. Edgar's eating and drinking so we aren't having to worry about bloat. He's also bright eyed and has energy as well. I also think his poops look better but I'm keeping a close eye on him.

Poor you and Edgar :(
I've lost two to root elongation, so I know how much this sucks.

Hope your little guy's spur gets sorted out soon. Do you have any metacam for him? That would definitely help.
Best wishes from me and Rosey xxxx

Poor you and Edgar :(
I've lost two to root elongation, so I know how much this sucks.

Hope your little guy's spur gets sorted out soon. Do you have any metacam for him? That would definitely help.
Best wishes from me and Rosey xxxx

Thank you so much for the nice comments and help.

We couldn't get Edgar an appointment today so he's going first thing in the morning. The vet already has his x rays so that will save us time and we are praying they read them correctly. Last night I think Edgar decided to work on the spur himself because he was chewing on his blue cloud rock. Right now he's just woken up and is chewing on a stick. This gives me hope we can keep him healthy and happy for a while.

Thank you also to Ticklechin. I know it's not easy looking at bad x rays but I really appreciate it. Without you Edgar would not be getting the help he needs.

Its good he is chewing anything, usually if there is pain malo/dental chins wont put anything between their lips. Good luck with the next vet visit!

Its good he is chewing anything, usually if there is pain malo/dental chins wont put anything between their lips. Good luck with the next vet visit!

Edgar's been a chewing machine in the last few days. He's eating hay, chewing different types of wood and his rocks. His only symptom is the loose poop and that's much better today. If he had lost interest in eating we would have gotten him to a vet even if we had had to leave the county.

His vet visit went very well today and she found bruising in his mouth from the first filing. She felt the x rays are inconclusive since they aren't great resolution. She thinks he may have moved during the x ray. Since he's been chewing so much he's also finishing the filing on his own tooth. We are going to keep a close eye on him and take him back if he needs it. If he continues to get better than we go back in three weeks to check his teeth again. We will also discuss better x rays at that time.

Dawn, I was wondering what you thought of the vets evaluation of the x rays. We don't want to get out hopes up if she's wrong. Also do you think filing the molars would help with root elongation?

The crowns do not look elongated to me based on what I can see in the x-ray-crown elongation would increase the rate of root elongation, but in this case if this was my chin I would not have the molars filed.

The crowns do not look elongated to me based on what I can see in the x-ray-crown elongation would increase the rate of root elongation, but in this case if this was my chin I would not have the molars filed.

Thank you so very much for your help. I really would be lost without the advice you've given and it's given me great piece of mind.

For now we are going to let him heal and go back to the vet in three weeks. We are weighing him every day and he may actually be gaining but it's only a few grams. He's eating like a champ and seemed to have more energy. His poops are getting firmer but still not normal. If anything changes we are back to the vet.

With dental chins, even if the weight is stable and they are not gaining its a victory-malo/dental chins can and do loose a incredible amount of weight when the issue is active, even feeding 100+ml of CC a day they can lose and there is nothing you can do about it.

Go Edgar!

Back