Ear Tags: Do you put your ranch brand on them?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that is a personal preference. Since there is no true registry system you can put anything you want on the tags.

ECBC show rules state that the tag must have a brand for sanctioned shows. The combination of brand and number makes the tags more unique which offers you, the rancher, more protection and accurate records. Protection at shows for positive identification of your animals.

Just my opinion but if everyone just used numbers only how would you tell them apart? Everyone gets them made at the same place and they would all look alike.

how do you order it with numbers too. I mean if you order 100 tags you would know ahead of time if you will have 20 babies a year ect..? Do you add the year letter too (like C)?

A lot of small breeders just do numbers without letters and our ranch brand. The number may not match with the animal's number, but the number is unique for that animal. I ordered 1-100 and I am in the 70's now. Once I reach 100, I will order 101-200 for my next tags. So, any future chins I tag...I know that they will not have the same number as previous animals I have tagged. 100 tags can last a small breeder several years. It's not worth it to special order 20-25 tags each year with the letter/number combo, especially if you do not tag every single kit that you have born.

Nobody I know of tags every animal born, some die, some are sold as pets and there are other variables. Ordering with the letter you would have many unused tags at the end of the year. Other breeders large and small including myself do just as Tabitha by ordering them with our brand and just numbers, no yearly letters. We tag all our breeders, most show animals and some of the animals sold to others. We are now nearing number 3000 and will be ordering the next set 3001-3500 which will last us for a couple of years.

Mine have my brand and numbers. I tag everything I keep, including those that are shown. If they go to pet homes, I tend to not tag them.

Oh, I get it. So for example if you were tagging kit C 34, they might get ear tag # 204 (ect). I assue its just marked on their pedigree what number is used?

You have the right idea. The number does not match their animal number but it is documented and is a number all of their own.

Yep, that's how I do it too. Not everyone gets a tag. Everyone who does, the numbers do not match up for sure. C30 may have a 50 tag...you just mark it in your records, that's all :)

Back