Dust or Sand Bath?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dust is what should be used with chinchillas. Sand is too rough for them. I am sure someone can give you a better detailed explanation as to why.

You want dust not sand (or powder). Sand is too course, it'd not fine enough to get all the way to the skin to properly remove dirt and oil, as well as it can damage their fur, cause cuts on the skin, and cause eye issues. Chinchillas actually bath in pumice (volcanic rock) dust in the wild so the dust bath made of finely ground pumice is exactly what they would naturally be bathing in. Their nostrils actually seal when they roll so they don't breath it in.

I do know some places seem to call the normal dust bath sand or powder though, so that can be confusing. The links you attached don't work so I can't really see your examples. Good examples of proper dust bath for chins include ones like Chilldust, Oxbow Poof, All Living things and Lixit Blue Beauty.

Back