dust in ear

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo24

Im on here to ask advice for a friend, his chin jumped into the toilet and got soaked, he dried him the best she'd let him and he gave her a dust bath.. its been a week or so and he noticed tonight that there is a large amount of dust caked in his ear. Is there anything we can do to get it out without hurting her?

cotton ball wont fit unfortunally, its more in the inside of his ear

Rip the cotton ball into a smaller piece or use a wet q-tip . I have a tripod chin who can't clean her ear and dust builds up. It if is bad I would take the chin to the vet, they have some serum that breaks up gunk and some soothing stuff if the ear is irritated internally. Be careful and gentle, the caked on dust has a good bond to the skin and can take some skin with it if you are too rough.

Edit: It is easier if someone holds a flashlight pointing in the chin's ear so you can see what you are swabbing at. Don't stick a q-tip into the ear farther than you can see.

Last edited:
look for the baby qtips, they are much bigger than the standard, they have a weird bulbous shape to them. more coverage area and less chance of poking them should your chin move.
i agree a second set of hands would be helpful for securing the chin & a flashlight!

went to the vet, turns out he also has a ear infection.. I have drops to give him, but its nearly impossible to get them into his actual ear..keeps getting it everywhere else and then he shakes it out... is there a trick to it?

i dont know if this is any help, but my cat gets ear mites pretty bad sometimes and we have to give him drops to relieve the itching and pain. After his drops we gently rub his ear to make sure that it gets down in there before he shakes his head and it all flies out. So maybe you could rub your chins ear a bit or hold the chin still for a bit so it has time to soak in.

I'm having alot of trouble with the ear drops. It's liquid baytril but its not exactly liquid, its a thick milky substance and its nearly impossible to get it into his ear!! I called my vet and she said she doesnt want him on oral since he's been on it alot and to try the best i can. I think i might bring him to another vet.

That's all you can do is try your best. Do you have someone helping you? If someone holds the chin, someone holds a flashlight, and someone applies the drops it should be feasible. It can be tricky with the false pockets that chins have but with some help you should be able to get it done. Give it another try and go from there.

Back