Dust bath ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchilla63

Most of what I've read says giving dust baths 2-3 times a week is fine.
Is there anything you experienced chin owners look for in deciding how often to offer the dust bath? Do you do it on a set schedule or do you vary it based on the individual chins/climate/etc?
We keep the air conditioning on all the time, so there isn't a lot of humidity or temperature variation. I've been doing dust baths every 4 days...I cut back when Rocky had the URI and just haven't increased it. I think the chinnies would like it more often but I'm curious to hear how others set their schedules.
Thanks,
Lee

Much depends on your area and especially humidity for how often to bathe. I think you'll hear both views on higher humidity - I like to bathe more often when it's up but I know some say not to. Every four days of bathing is just getting them by and I'm sure they'd like more often. I bathe every 2 days and generally it takes care of humid days, general upkeep of their fur and of course the well being of chinnie smiles!! They look forward to it so much!!

I thought it might not be enough. Humidity isn't really an issue but I think they miss having it more often. I wasn't sure when it got to be too often.

Back