dust bath question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chancesmomma

i have a small kitty litter box and basically coat the bottom of it with dust. chance gets his bath 2 times a week if i do more he gets eye irritations....i have seen people use drawers filled about 2 - 4 inches of dust with the chin bathing in it...and i throw away whats left in it every time....should i be using more dust? and if i decided to use a larger bing filled with dust when do i throw it away?

I use a squat glass fish bowl for my chins, and fill the bottom with about 2 inches of dust, and let them have 3-4 rolls (usually less than a minute) before I kick them out of it. I keep an eye on the dust, and you'll notice that it'll eventually start to clump up this is usually when I toss it and refresh it, unless one of them goes to the bathroom in it, in which case it is thrown away immediately and cleaned out before fresh dust is put in it.

Greetings chancesmomma,
I would also use a bit deeper dust. At least two or three inches. The advantage to using something with high sides or more enclosed like the fish bowl is that less dust gets out into the air. Even if the dust does not get dirty the finer dust will gradually be used and the remainder will be more granular which will not coat the fur for cleaning it. We dust three times a week and the dust usually lasts several weeks. We throw out the larger granular product and replace with new dust. You can also use a little less and just add some new dust to the "old" more granular dust if it is not dirty. This cuts expense some. We will sometimes mix the older strained dust with new product for our breeders and use all new dust for weaners and show stock. However, you risk cross contamination if you ever have a fungus or disease issue so it is always best to have each chinnie use their own dust. Good luck to you.

ok awesome thanks guys....gonna try using more this week and see how it goes... the sides are pretty high. i usually let him jump in and roll around and he will jump out for a second then go back and i put away after that

Back