Duck leg help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
My snowy call hen was limping yesterday, I caught her and found a string around her leg! I don't know how long it had been there, it was REALLY tight and the foot was discolored.

It was below the knee about midway. I removed it and rubber her foot and lower leg hoping to help circulation.

Today she is still limping, and doesn't like to move, and it is still discolored.

I was probably too late... :tantrum:

What can I do to help her anything? Has anyone had a duck with a missing leg?

I was talking to the neighbor and we decided that we could cut a dowel and attach it with "duck tape"... yea we're dorks and thought it was hilarious.

But seriously anyone have this happen or something similar?! All advice is welcome, she is my favorite one!

There was a duck at my college campus who was missing part of his leg. Just slightly above the foot--no clue how it happened. We called him Stumpy...he didn't seem to have too many problems getting around; he just tilted a little when he walked!

Oh poor stumpy! I hope everything works out okay. I wonder if Brad's done duck amputations! Because it was tied in the middle of the leg I don't what what will happen if the bottom half dies. :( I've never dealt with duck injuries that much!

Things are not looking good for her. She has not gotten color back in her leg, and I'm going to ask the vet ( or have my mom do it while she's at work). It appears it's painful for her to walk on it, and I've been considering creating a "peg leg" type deal to run along her leg that is there, but apparently dead to help her get along.

:(

I can, but I'm not going to. :p She does move around a lot, just slowly and spends most of her day in the pond, I'm going to guess it makes it feel better, so I don't want to take that away from her. They have plenty of room and no one is picking on her, her mate stays with her at all times to make sure no one gets near her.

Awe, I don't know much about ducks. Do they only have one mate? Nice that hers is protecting her. I hope she's ok and even if she looses her leg, can get on without it. Good luck. Poor baby.

Yes, I think I would have it amputated as soon as possible. Especially if she's spending a lot of time in the pond. Infection or gangrene could easily set in, causing a systemic infection that could kill her. I would get that bad leg amputated and I'm sure she'll manage to get along fine without it. I would also skip the idea of a 'peg leg'. Might be more trouble than it's worth. She'll learn to get along one legged and probably be just fine.

Slightly OT, but do ducks really do OK with an amputated leg? I don't think I've ever heard of a one-legged duck before.

I would think they would need both legs on land for walking, and both feet for swimming. My grandpa used to have a couple of dozen ducks and I have never seen a domesticated or wild duck with one leg. I'm hoping for the best for your duck!!!

They can swim with one leg, but walking with one leg could possibly cause blunt trauma to their breast because they would basically have to "fall down" and get up again to move.

And no, they don't swim in circles :p

The vet said:

Watch for the black to spread, if it doesn't leave it alone. If it does amputation is possible, but one thing to consider is her quality of life.

The best thing for her right now is "water therapy" so basically let her play in the pond as much as she wants.

They can swim with one leg, but walking with one leg could possibly cause blunt trauma to their breast because they would basically have to "fall down" and get up again to move.

And no, they don't swim in circles :p

OMG...Pictures Nichole making a padded bra and 1 high heeled shoe for poor duck. :thumbsup:

Ritz is doing well. We did some pond work yesterday. I did a "catch and release" on her and checked her leg, rubbed it a little bit. It looks like the color is getting a little better, and she is using it slightly, very tenderly, but using it!

We relined the pond with a new liner and enlarged it, and made a "wall" so the chickens can't kick so much stuff in it!

Ritz sounds like he is a very strong and determined duck who could make a full recovery. At least, that's what I'm hoping! It's good to hear that he seems to be improving at this point. I love ducks, since I was around them a lot as a kid on grandpa's farm, and I want to hear that Ritz has a happy ending.

Back