drooling and snots

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxchincerelyxo

PM for pet portraits <3
I was doing my check today and noticed that Heiney's chest was a little bit wetter (she got sprayed badly a few days ago and her fur was still a little funny from it) so I burritoed her to get a good look at her teeth/mouth.

She has a thickish "flem" like substance coming from her nose and lips. Her teeth are fine color wise, and her poops are normal. She is still active and her weight hasn't changed.

Do "you" think it's Malo? I'm making a vet apt. today but I was hoping for some input. Anything would be really helpful.

Why would you think it was malo if she has phlegm coming from her nose? I would get her to a vet ASAP to check for respiratory/sinus issues.

Have you been following Essentia's thread? She saw a similar thing with her chin and thankfully was able to get him to a vet and start treatment in time.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3826

That's the link to the thread about Essentia's Buttons. She was worried about it being a tooth issue at first, too. Turned out to be an Upper Respiratory Infection. URIs are a very scary thing for chins, and quite serious!

I'm not a vet (or very experienced with chins, really) but from what I've seen of any sort of a sickness like that it's definitely a serious issue worth getting to a vet ASAP. Essentia ended up having to take Buttons in on a weekend, and it was still a very close call. He's getting better day by day though! :)

Please, please, please bring this chin to the vet. Mine took a turn for the worst in just 12 hours. I saw him with a stuffy nose and small poos Friday and by Saturday he had stopped eating completely and could barely breath. Luckily I was able to get to the vet on Saturday and again on Monday. He had been getting worse all the way until Monday, then the vet started him on a higher dosage of Baytril. He got so sick so quick, which is what scared me so badly.

With hand feeding 4 times a day, 2 nebulizing treatments a day, 2 doses of Baytril and Reglan he is getting back to his normal self. He definitely isn't 100% but he is now to the point that I am not afraid he is going to die anymore. I just thank god I was able to get meds in him the next day otherwise I really don't think he would be here right now.

I have an apt today at 3:30...just got a scare and was wanting some input...I'm hoping it's a URI and not teeth problems, but I'm going to have the vet take x-rays anyways...

Wish me luck!

I'm glad you are able to get in to the vet today, rather than have to use an emergency vet over the weekend. Let us know what they say. :)

I really hope of this is a URI that it hasn't been going unnoticed for a few days thinking it was just from hr being sprayed. Good luck & I hope everything turns out okay

Sorry about the delay...I have my family in town for the first time in a yr and between vet runs and Easter and such I've been a little busy!

I took Heiney in and she has a URI but I was lucky and caught it right up front. I'm still going to take her in in about a week or so for x-rays just to have them.

Thanks for all the concerns!

Back