Quantcast

Dried sunflower petals

Pafarmgirl

Is dried sunflower petals safe for chinchillas to eat as a snack in moderation of course? I did a Google search for treats and this was the first time I seen sunflower on the list.
Thank you in advance
Tina

Amethyst

Staff member
From what I've read, no they aren't good. I think they contain some oil or something along those lines, which isn't good for chins.

Amethyst

Staff member
I looked into it, and this is the answers I found in another chin group when people asked about sunflower petals

"Avoid sunflowers altogether. They are very oily. It's not the type of oil that's best for chins."

"The current thinking though, is that since this is a heavy oil, with absolutely excessive saturated and unsaturated oils both, and huge amounts of vitamin E and K,
It's going to contribute to a sludgy fatty liver. Chinchillas are prone to fatty liver disease anyway, it's very common, sadly.
Large amounts of vitamin E are also a problem."

1611547030913.png

If their is enough oil and vitamins in the petals to cause an issue or not I don't know for a fact, but with so many other safe options I don't think it's worth the risk. 🤷‍♀️ I have only recently been seeing people asking about them and them being in herbal rodent treat mixes so I think more long term study of them needs to be done to know for sure.