Dominance Humping.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Diva Chins

My girls Aiko and Rini have been together since birth, sisters, everything. Lately I've noticed that Aiko has been growing less patient with Rini, starting to claim the hay, so I've started putting it in two different places. Now I look over and see that Rini is humping Aiko. I guess my question is:

For the people with two same sex bonded chins, when (or if) did you start seeing dominance humping?

At this point I'm trying to decide if I should get the FN cage and seperate them just in case. I've noticed they have been kacking at each other lately, I figured maybe Rini is just having her first heat cycle and getting grumpy or something even though I haven't seen the usual signs of going into heat. I guess you can imagine my surprise to look over and see Rini just humping away at poor lil Aiko and Aiko just sitting there like it was nothing.
I've never had a bonded same sex pair (Tried to intro Bubbles and Doof, did NOT work) so I'm a little iffy about it. Thanks!

I noticed the most humping when I first got two boys paired up, or when I had a younger male with an older male...when the younger male got older, he started to hump the older male. In one instance I had to separate as it escalated to the point of excessive chasing and fur pulling. In the other pair, they worked the issues out. I would just watch to see if one of the girls is seemingly more stressed than usual, if there is excessive chasing, etc. A good sign to separate is tufts of fur about the cage.

Are you sure you have two females?

Some chins can live together and never dominance mount each other. Others seems to reach a point, I always figure it is hormonal, and suddenly they need to work things out as to who will be boss. As long as it does not get violent (fur pulling or biting) I would give them some time to see if they settle down. If it does get out of hand, then you would need to separate them.

Are you sure you have two females?

Some chins can live together and never dominance mount each other. Others seems to reach a point, I always figure it is hormonal, and suddenly they need to work things out as to who will be boss. As long as it does not get violent (fur pulling or biting) I would give them some time to see if they settle down. If it does get out of hand, then you would need to separate them.

Yes, very much sure. I made sure when they first came here, and then when that little episode happened I got them both out just to make sure again. It kinda startled me, I've heard about dominance humping but never seen it myself.

My bonded pair dominance mounted a lot when I first paired them together. Now it is probably a once every couple day thing at playtime. I agree with Stacie about just making sure it doesn't escalate into fighting.

Back