Doesn't like to be picked up...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krissi

When it's playtime my one chin, Monkey hops right out of the cage into my arms and is very eager to come out . My other chin, Moose, on the other hand acts like he wants to come out but won't hop into my hands and gives me a hard time about catching him. He will come right over to the open door and let you pet him and seems to enjoy playtime once he's out but doesn't like being picked up.
Should I catch him for playtime or let him make the decision to come out? I feel bad chasing him around his cage but would also feel bad if I didn't take him out.

Put his carrier in his cage and transport him that way. That's what I do with my girls that don't like to be held. When playtime is over they go back into the carrier and back to their cage.

If play time is in the same room as their cage I would just let him come out, pending he doesn't then need to go into a playpen. If it's in another room I would do what Cindy suggested and use the carrier. It can also help them to be more use to the carrier incase an emergency arises.

My Sonic is like this too. He absolutely craves attention but gets scared when I, even mistakenly, wrap my hand around him. I've used his dust bath to transport him. His cage is big enough that he doesn't need to come out often, but I do like to give him a change of scenery.

I've recently started trying to give him more of a sense of choosing to come out. I kneel by the open door of his lower level and let him hop out on my lap without grabbing him. I just frame my lap with my arms and offer scritches. He's staying out for scritches longer each time but the result of this is that I'm training him to hop out when the door is open; basically training this chin to escape. I have to be prepared to have playtime right there every time I open the door, even though I'd prefer to take him up to my prepared bathroom. If your playtime is in the same room as the cage, this shouldn't be an issue for you. I'm working on making that possible. Darn my tiny house!

My Sonic is like this too. He absolutely craves attention but gets scared when I, even mistakenly, wrap my hand around him. I've used his dust bath to transport him. His cage is big enough that he doesn't need to come out often, but I do like to give him a change of scenery.

My girl, Kindle does the same thing. She LOVES attention but does not enjoy being picked up. I use her carrier and take her to her play area which is our bathroom. She does like chin and behind-the-ear scratches very much!

Glad to see my guy isn't the only one that does this! Although he is now accustomed to the "dust bath trick" and unless I put the dust bath inside his cage, he won't hop in it at the door anymore. He's super social and loves attention and giving kisses, but he hates being picked up! And he is always SO mad at me afterwards, he sits up in his most far away spot and gives me the evil chinnie eye lol

I have 3 girls, all rescues, and their reactions to being handled range from "I don't like you picking me up, but okay" to "I'm going to spray you with urine and behave like you're killing me every time you touch me". None of them go for the dust bath trick (they bite me if I try it) and hate the carrier even more than they hate me picking them up.
It has gotten a little better over time. I'm gentle but firm about it being time to come out or go back in to the cage...play time is in another room so I don't have a choice. I also get stink eye after they're back in the cage, but I wait a few minutes and then offer a treat.
I see photos of cuddly chins and chins who ride on their owners' shoulders, and I do admit I feel jealous! I don't know if my girls will ever get there but I try to remember how much progress they've made.

Carl HATES being picked up. You'd think i was trying to kill him. i've had him for over a year now. I'm his second owner. He doesn't squeal now when i pick him up. Wiggles a little and then i cuddle him to my chest and then let him hop into his carrier. He still runs from my hand and i hate chasing him in his cage but he doesn't hop in the carrier anymore if i put it in the cage. Even though he KNOWS its playtime. He does use me as a jungle gym during play time though.

Daisy used to be a no-holding chinchilla, but we got her a huge new cage and after a few tummy troubles and me giving her daily ten minute tummy rubs, she's been appreciative, like she knows we love her so she tolerates being held. Only for a short time though lol, after about 2 minutes she's like "PEACE"
Once your chinchillas feel completely safe with you, they may allow you to hold them. Some never will =( But there's always hope

Back