Does your chillas have pets?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scambone

I turned my chilla room in to a brilla room (bird and chinchilla). I have a budgie of my own that is in his cage and my friend brought over her budgie for a week vacation at my house in her own cage. Indy think the budgie is his and often hovers the cage to watch his "pet". the budgie is completely fine with his fur owner and doesn't fly around scared when ever Indy is near or ON the cage. I try not to let him on he cage because I dont want him to break a leg or poop on the budgie but he has this Gollum vibe and I can hear him saying "my precious" while on top of his cage.
s5ee.jpg

So last night I go to put my budgie with her budgie in the cage for the first time (they've had play dates outside of their cages but never shared a cage) and Indy was SO mad at ME. He looked even more mad than he does in this picture
b3hw.jpg

he thinks I stole his budgie! I had to show him that he was still there and that he was just having fun with his friend

t72h.jpg

Indy still isnt happy about the arrangement but the birds are. lol. I told my friend she'll have to take her budgie home when I dont have Indy running in his birlla room.

wblr.jpg

ps. no i dont let him loose in the birilla room when I'm not there.

I would be really careful about keeping them together because birds can carry illnesses that are deadly to chinchillas. Coccidia and giardia are the two I would really worry about because birds can be well and carry them. All it would take is a nibble on something that was pooped on for the chinchilla to get sick. Please be very careful.

Thanks for the heads up. I try to keep everything clean as possible and wash my hands after cleaning cages. I know you can get pink eye from chinchillas and I know giardia can easily be passed not from just birds but infected kids/ people in general who have fecal issues.

They are really cute and I am glad you understand the dangers. We have pigeons and never let any cross contamination happen because the bacteria's natural to them are so dangerous. They actually live on separate floors and we have bird shoes. Budgies aren't nearly as dangerous.

Our cats and chinchillas seem to like each other. Oscar especially likes to defend his territory and when a kitty gets too close he gives them a piece of his mind. The cats just ignore the chinchillas. We just got a kitten and it has been fun watching the chinchillas get used to him. Of course we don't let them out together especially since the kitten is too playful.

Years ago, before I knew better, my chin Chloe and huge bunny named Dice lived in a huge cage together. They loved each other.....She loved riding on his back and spent most of her time there. We put a food and water station at the right height, he would take her there and she ate while riding him!
Haha, I just remembered, we would let them loose in the living room sometimes and she held on with her little paws and rode him like a jockey, she loved it. She would get off for a moment, then mount up again!

Last edited:
Years ago, before I knew better, my chin Chloe and huge bunny named Dice lived in a huge cage together. They loved each other.....She loved riding on his back and spent most of her time there. We put a food and water station at the right height, he would take her there and she ate while riding him!
Haha, I just remembered, we would let them loose in the living room sometimes and she held on with her little paws and rode him like a jockey, she loved it. She would get off for a moment, then mount up again!

:rofl:

Back