Do they recognize you?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn

I'm wondering... after the chin is with you for a long time.. do they bond with us? Can they recognize our voice? I don't know if its too early or what but my chin doesn't seem to recognize my voice even though i talk to him everyday (actually he doesn't seem to recognize any human or TV voice, he's only response to the bang or knocking sound). Only sign that show we were bond is i'm only one he can fall asleep on when I hold him. But thats it. I know they are not like dogs or cats that would bond with human strongly. But how is chinchilla though? I have him since spring break only so maybe it is not enough time.

Yes. My chinchillas act very differently when I am in the room than when I have strangers in the room. I am not sure if it a bond or just getting used to your sounds and smell

good to hear! :)

I have a quick question. Do anyone know what it means when their ears are laid back? Or it doesn't have particular reason?

They definitely bond to individual people. Flea will run to greet me (if he is active) and I am the only one that can get to wake up and be active outside his normal times. My roommates have tried and he will only respond to them when he is in a good mood. I like to think of it that we have bonded and he trusts me and he tolerates everyone else.

Usually if they're ears are down/back and they're eyes are closing, they are sleepy. I think sometimes they may do it when they're scared or hear something behind them. Not sure of all the reasons, but they definitely sleep with they're ears down.

I agree with Kristy - they definitley know when there's strangers around -
boy, do they change personalities!!

Last edited:
My chin definitely reacts differently to both my voice and presence than with anyone else. As soon as she sees me she'll come racing to me in her pen. And I can lull her out of hiding with my voice.

I believe my chins do recognize my voice and I think they know it's me. I share my bedroom with my chins and sometimes when someone is acting up and I'm trying to read I have to tell them to pipe down. When they hear my voice they all stop their acting up behavior and settle down. They also know to stare at me and give me the treat look as they know it will win me over and treats will be theirs!

My chinchilla does recognize my voice, and that of my boyfriend, but he's not the type to fall asleep on anyone. The fact that yours will tells me he trusts you, so the bond is there. He just might not care to come when called, etc. Many chins don't.

yea, actually I'm a little concern that he doesn't response to anyone voice. I don't wanna say it but its like he almost "deaf" because he doesn't even jump up or anything. He response to the sound like the door close or any actions, but i don't know if he jump up because of the vibration or "heard" it. Thats why only sign I can feel that he is bonding is he let me touch him longer than anyone else and a lot calmer when I hold him at the vet than the nurse

Chins can be obstinate and picky creatures. I have one that goes ballistic when he hears me talking and another that just pops her head up and then puts it back down when she hears me. My 3rd chin wont even acknowledge me, but has no problem coming to my son.

The fact that he falls asleep with you is definitely a sign of trust on his part and it may just take time for him to come to your voice. Just continue talking to him and he may surprise you one day! :)

Mine absolutely act differently with me than with others! Many of them will come up and hop out onto my arms, or let me scritch them at the front of the cage, but if someone else is with me will hide as though they have never seen a human before!

I think they definitely have the ability to recognize particular people (whether or not they choose to show it is another story!) Kenai is more strongly bonded with me than my fiance, and I'm the only one who can scritch him and play with his feet while he's all relaxed on his side/sleeping without him getting up. I'm up at my parents' right now, and just last night, my fiance put me on speakerphone with the chins, and Kenai apparently got ridiculously excited :))

As mentioned, the fact that he falls asleep in your arms is a great sign, and the bond will only get stronger with time!

When a stranger is in the room, they get hyper-active. They jump around and one of them would gets crazy running around making circles in his cage.

Yes, chins respond to specific human voices. Some, however, just might not feel like it... chins are stubborn :neener: My oldest boy knows when I come to his cage and will run right to me, he'll also come on my lap when I talk to him. He does the same with my mom, when he hears her talking he runs out from wherever he is. My second oldest boy definitely knows my voice and knows his name but will only respond to it when HE feels like it hehe. My two little boys are learning since they're fairly new to the house, but they know when I come to their cage and run to say hello. When other people go to their cage, they stay where they are. Like Laurie, my boys are in my room and if I hear someone misbehaving, I'll yell or say one of their names and they'll stop and perk up. They usually start up a couple minutes later though anyway because they're brats :laughitup: you gotta love them though!

Mine recognize my voice- both run to the side of the cage and will start bouncing around like crazy if I talk in goofy voices.
Ferdinand also recognizes my roommates footsteps (she wears big clunky shoes), if she walks by he runs to the side of the cage and starts reaching out for treats! (he doesn't get em every time, he's satisfied with just being handed hay or food pellets instead!).

two of our chins follow my hubby around during playtime & start running around the cage when he comes home. zero loves sitting on my chest while i hang out on the couch but won't hold still when the hubby gets him out.

Edgar actually responds to me tapping for his attention more than if I call him and I know he can hear me. I also know that he has bonded with us because he wants to play and hang out with us. However in the nearly six months we've had him he has yet to fall asleep in our presence. If he fell asleep on me I would be very happy he had that level of comfort with us. However I am happy that Edgar is as happy as he is.

I definately think they not only recognize my voice but they actually understand a lot of what i'm saying....call me crazy but i dont think we give them enough credit...they are very intelligent....i also think tho that like us humans some are more social then others. Mine always perk up when they see me too....when a stranger walks in the room a lot of them run and hide...

LOL - yes they DO recognize you - and they let it be known when they don't like someone too - just ask Spoof - she has been peed on by some of my sweetest chins! I think it's the animal T-shirt she wears that scares them - or they are just smarter than we all think. They certainly know when I'm going to treat them or give them dustbaths as well and I don't even do that at a regular set time.

I have some that will talk to me and only me but when someone else comes around they won't even talk or make a sound even with encouragement.

Funny critters!

Ronda

Back