do chinchillas have the same eye size?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petran79

cwjuw.jpg

I notice that the grey one's eyes look much larger in comparison to the eyes of the black one

Is it because more dense fur and darker color covers the area around the eye or is there really a small difference in the front eye size?

I would think it's similar to other animals of the same species, humans for example all have roughly the same size eye balls regardless of race, gender, or age. The difference is the skin (and fur) around the eye as well as the size and shape of the skull can vary from person to person or chinchilla to chinchilla making the eyes appear smaller or larger. I could be wrong though I don't have anything to back up that theory about chins eyes but it would make sense to me.

Chinchilla eyes do differ in size in accordance with age, the shape of the skull, depth of eye sockets and line they are out of. They rage from no eyes or very teeny eyes in the stone white to some crazy massive ones in the bigger broad headed gray girls. It is uncommon to see this type of variance within a species but chinchillas are the result of crossing two (or three) different subspecies and also exhibit sexual dimorphism. Captivity has bred a lot of that out, and in the process of changing the skeletal structure over the last 100 generations the eyes and nasal cavity have been affected too. There is currently a study being done by the ECBC chinchilla club on skull shape and tendency towards malocclusion. All interesting stuff.

I would think it's similar to other animals of the same species, humans for example all have roughly the same size eye balls regardless of race, gender, or age. The difference is the skin (and fur) around the eye as well as the size and shape of the skull can vary from person to person or chinchilla to chinchilla making the eyes appear smaller or larger. I could be wrong though I don't have anything to back up that theory about chins eyes but it would make sense to me.
That's not plywood on petran79's chin house?

My standard grey definitely had bigger eyes and wider nose than my black velvet does.

My standard grey definitely had bigger eyes and wider nose than my black velvet does.
My standard grey does also. In fact he has been the healthiest and most beautiful of the 10 chins I've had over the years, and he came from PetSmart! He's 17 years old and is cute and peppy as a baby. And loaded with personality!

Back