DIY Projects

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

I'm planning on making two things for my chins as it's cheaper than buying them. A large climbing toy for outside of cage playtime, and a hidey house. I already have KD pine, so does anyone know what to use to attach the wood together? I saw wood glue being mentioned in someone's house construction, is that safe? Is so, could I get a link to a good wood glue?

If anyone has any tips for building chin stuff in general, please let me know.

You can use Elmer's wood glue or put it together with screws. I've done both.

Screws can work, but you do need to keep an eye on things so the chin doesn't chew down to the screw (they have been known to chip teeth). Personally I think the best way is with pegs and holes to hold it together, and a small amount of glue. Drill holes along the side where you would normally put a screw and instead put a wooden peg, then drill holes on the opposite piece, add a little Elmer's glue along the edge, and piece together like legos. That way you have a completely safe house that is sturdy.

Screws can work, but you do need to keep an eye on things so the chin doesn't chew down to the screw (they have been known to chip teeth). Personally I think the best way is with pegs and holes to hold it together, and a small amount of glue. Drill holes along the side where you would normally put a screw and instead put a wooden peg, then drill holes on the opposite piece, add a little Elmer's glue along the edge, and piece together like legos. That way you have a completely safe house that is sturdy.
Can the pegs be any type of wood, or does it have to be chin-safe wood? Also, does wooden dowel pins/rods have the same effect of pegs? Are they the same thing?

Can the pegs be any type of wood, or does it have to be chin-safe wood? Also, does wooden dowel pins/rods have the same effect of pegs? Are they the same thing?

You want chin safe wood, looking them up I guess they are called dowel pins or dowel pegs (These) I've seen poplar and possibly pine in hardware stores, most are just labeled "hardwood" so you may have to look around. If you can't seem to find any you can even make your own out of scrap wood (they don't have to be round just so long as they fit snug in the drill hole).

I'm planning on making two things for my chins as it's cheaper than buying them. A large climbing toy for outside of cage playtime, and a hidey house. I already have KD pine, so does anyone know what to use to attach the wood together? I saw wood glue being mentioned in someone's house construction, is that safe? Is so, could I get a link to a good wood glue?

If anyone has any tips for building chin stuff in general, please let me know.
i was also considering building a hide for my chin! where did you get your pine from?? im a little skeptical of just buying whatever home depot or lowes claims is kiln dried pine without knowing for sure if its chin safe

i was also considering building a hide for my chin! where did you get your pine from?? im a little skeptical of just buying whatever home depot or lowes claims is kiln dried pine without knowing for sure if its chin safe
I got it from Home Depot and just asked someone to show me the kiln dried pine. Luckily the person was from generations of lumber work, so I was sure what he showed me was KD pine. If the person you ask doesn't seem completely sure, do not get it and either ask someone else or go to a lumber store. I at least triple checked with the guy that helped me by asking if it was truly KD a few times. You can never be too sure.

Back