DIY Air Conditioned Chin Hut

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vimkgt

Never seen this so far on the US Chinchilla forums before, but this is a really popular method that people in China use to keep their chins from dying in the summer time when AC is not available.

It's a DIY project that involves building or modifying a chin house by adding a Peltier cooler to it. The Peltier runs off a 12V power supply, so in an emergency, you can hook it up to a car battery or something and still provide cooling for an hour or two until the electric comes back.

It's kind of a minor electrical engineering project to do it, as it will require attaching devices to a power supply and possibly cutting wires. If you don't know what a Peltier cooling pad is, it's sort of a square metal pad that takes in an electrical current and one side becomes cold while the other side becomes hot. It's used in a lot of device, for example mini fridges and those stupid USB powered beverage coolers.

In any case, here's how it's done:

1. Get an existing chin house or build one with wood, and extend it to accommodate a cooling device (about 2-3 inches). See attached pic... the right side where the peltier pad goes is totally isolated from chin access by the way the cage is mounted.

2. For the cooling device, you will need: A peltier cooling pad, a heat sink for the cold side, and a heat sink with a fan or a water cooling block for the hot side.

3. Apply thermal grease and a foam insulation layer between the hot and the cold side of the peltier, and attach both heat sinks. The cold side heat sink will be small and flat, and should fit flush with the chin hut. It will become ice cold, cooling down the entire wooden hut and the inside air. The hot side will sit outside the hut and will be cooled by a standard 12V cooling fan (just like in a computer). Make sure the hot side is adequately cooled, or the cold side won't work as effectively. You can see in the attached photo they drilled out a hole and added a grate to allow better airflow.

4. Attach the whole thing to an appropriate sized 12V power supply, and if you have access, a thermostat with on/off switch. It's not really necessary since during summer you can run the thing 24/7.

5. The cold side will get really cold, and the wooden hut will absorb enough of this cold to be comfortable for a Chin without freezing it's tail off. Inside the hut will be about 10-15 degrees Celsius lower than the ambient air temp.

6. The hut should attach to the cage in such a way that the chinchilla cannot access the wires or chew on them.

See pictures for a well-polished and somewhat commercial example of this cooling solution. With this little 'AC Hut', the chin will have a place to retreat during summer, without the added expense of running an AC unit all day and night.

This only seems to be a practical solution for a single chinchilla, but you could theoretically attach 2 peltier coolers to a larger sized hut and make it big enough for 2 chins.

Attachments

• achut1.jpg
    achut1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 133
  • achut2.jpg
    achut2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 92
The fan is the weak link, the dust from the chins will kill it in a couple of months, I know since I had something rigged like that for a P/W who had to be below 65 at all times or he overheated. That and you have a chin who is basically trapped in the hut with no chance for play and since chins have been known to be not the brightest lights in the sky there is no guarantee they will actually go in there. Like the concept, but IMO only in the case of a emergency, not to be used full time.

Ahh, good point... although for any computer nerds out there, this is an easily solvable problem by using a water cooling block instead of a fan. Then again, the water cooler still has a fan on the radiator, but if it fails, it's not catastrophic.

I was wondering about that too, if you used one of these, what is the chin gonna do for food and play?

I'll probably get one anyways just to see how well it works since it only costs about $60 US Dollars, but then again peltier coolers are really really inefficient as far as electricity usage, possibly eliminating any potential savings, and with 4 chins we always keep the AC on anyways.

I guess you'd recommend against trying to get like 10 cooling pads and cooling down the whole cage huh? hahaha

OK, here's another set up that I've recently seen at a chinchilla store... they basically have a home-made wooden cage, the size of a small bookshelf. On the very bottom, underneath the mesh-wire floor, there's a mini-radiator, just like the kind used in old houses, but sized to fit almost exactly in the bottom of the cage.

The water runs out to a water cooling block which is chilled with a peltier cooler on each side, and the hot sides are cooled by a standard aluminum heat sink and fan. A water pump takes the water from the radiator, brings it to the cooler, and back into the radiator. The whole thing is hung on the side of the cage.

The shop owner said that it works quite well in the summer, as a supplement to AC, not a replacement... she said it lets her keeps room temp around 80 degrees and the inside of the chin cage is about 10 degrees coolers from the radiator.

This wouldn't work in a wire cage of course, and of course the door of the cage would ideally be mostly blocked off with cardboard or wood, and just allow enough opening for air circulation.

If I take on this project, I'll post photos and results and let everyone know how it goes... I know there doesn't seem to be that much interest in the US, but over here, there's a lot of guys who own chinchillas ("Dragon Cat" sounds actually kind of cool for a man to own, vs how cutsey Chinchilla sounds hahaha) and they really love to do all kinds of DIY stuff here.

Not a bad idea, I am sure you something can be rigged to help keep chins cool with some creativity. Even without AC, a small version of an ice box to an extent with some dry ice can work. Of course you will have to change out the dry ice depending on how readily available it is. Or you can use regular ice, but just need to make sure it can not be opened.

Back