Disinfecting Home/Wood After Ringworm

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missuschubbs

Hello!

As my baby is (hopefully) on the road to recovery from a ringworm episode, we are preparing to disinfect his house as well as our house. Are there any overall tips on how to do this? We are already planning to steam clean carpets/furniture but are there any other extra precautions we should consider?

And more to the focus of my question is how we can possibly salvage my chin's Chin Spin wheel (since these things are NOT cheap LOL). The backing of it is wood and I already soaked it in a 1:10 bleach:water solution for 10 mins and let it airdry in direct sunlight, but am not sure if the solution will penetrate deeply enough to get rid of the ringworm spores. I was also considering baking it in the oven or giving it a hot water bath treatment since the spores die at ~110F, but again not sure if this will penetrate deeply enough.

Or if anyone has had any luck replacing the wood on their Chin Spin and had any tips for doing that as well~

I will probably just end up buying another wheel since better safe than sorry, but was wondering if anyone had any expert/experiential advice that could confirm/deny full disinfection of the wood.

Thank you for your time and responses!

I can't help too much since I've never had the misfortune to deal with ringworm myself, but everything I've read about dealing with ringworm says to just toss all wood, and unfortunately that does include the wheel if it's made of wood. Before throwing it out though, I would try contacting Quality Cage Crafters (company that makes the chin spin) and see if they have any suggestions.

I can't help too much since I've never had the misfortune to deal with ringworm myself, but everything I've read about dealing with ringworm says to just toss all wood, and unfortunately that does include the wheel if it's made of wood. Before throwing it out though, I would try contacting Quality Cage Crafters (company that makes the chin spin) and see if they have any suggestions.

Thank you for the reply!

Yeah I figured that's what I'd have to do :( I did message the company and am awaiting their reply! Thank you for the input and hopefully they'll have some suggestions that may salvage the wheel~

Back