Dish for a carry cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hana

I bought the metal coop cups 5 oz for a carry cage.
The size is 3" x 1 3/4" (one for food, one for water)
Isn't it too big??
I will attach the water bottle above a coop cup due to water leaking.

I just didn't want to attach a plastic dish.
And this metal one was smallest size I could find.

What do you use when you flight?

My carry cage is from ryersons.
I worry if they are comfortable and can get enough air.
If I were a chin I don't like it...:impatient:
But I'm not a chin so I don't know..

Please tell me what you use.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 00u0u_ez6TpTgs1bq_600x450.jpg
    00u0u_ez6TpTgs1bq_600x450.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 15
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 13
I use the 1 oz treat cup w/ hanger ceramic for my carriers, I also attached a pic so you can see it in the carriers-mine go everywhere and they work well.

google 1 oz treat cup w/ hanger ceramic and you will get a few websites like this one who has it, I just got mine from the local pet store.

http://store.mfgouldianfinches.com/cetrcupwiwih.html

Attachments

• coop.jpg
    coop.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 30
I have flown with the 10-hole Ryerson carrier 4 times and have never used a food dish. I would worry it would get loose and possibly hurt chins. I typically just put wood shavings, a tablespoon of pellets, and some timothy hay. Now, this is for, say, 6-10 hours from feeding and watering before getting home. If they are in carriers overnight, I attach the water bottles and holders from Ryerson but do the same with the pellets...just put some in a corner and give hay. They typically don't eat much of the pellets but do eat the hay.
As for their comfort, the smaller space actually calms them down and they pretty much just sit there while in the carrier. Many breeders travel by car and airplane using that Ryerson design so it has been thoroughly tested!

Regardless, keep the amount of carrier time as low as you can.

ticklechin,
Hi, the 1 oz treat cup w/ hanger looks perfect!
But the store near by doesn't carry.. so I may have to order it online..
You don't put a cup for water??

seachin,
Hi, you don't use a food dish??
When I called airline and they said the cage have to attach 2 cups...

That's good to hear the smaller space calms them down :)

Well, they've never required it for me and I have never had a chin die...that's a requirement for cats and dogs....they don't know squat about chinchillas. You have to let them in now they will not require water during the flight and there is sufficient pellets and hau for food in the cage. Putting a water dish in the cage won't work, it will spilll everywhere....I think the food dish will be the same and is unnecessary. I fear a water bottle on the side will just fall off.

Mine eat like pigs in their carriers, even the 30 min trip to and from work they eat pellets, I don't offer hay. I hang bottles for water-I have these spring loaded ball bottles that don't leak when shook, I have not been able to find them anymore.

Back